MindForth Programming Journal (MFPJ) 2010 October 22

1 Fri.22.OCT.2010 -- Combining Inhibition and Slosh-Over.

Looking back to the beginning of the year 2010, in MindForth AI we see several development tracks which need now to merge and be better integrated. In January of 2010 we added the "mfn" gender flag and we began working on elaborate code for the handling of be-verb forms. Then in September of 2010 we began using neural inhibition to cycle through exhaustive responses to KB-queries. More recently, in October of 2010 we have finally made subject-verb activational slosh-over dynamically visible in the MindForth Tutorial display mode.

Sometimes our work on one aspect of MindForth distorts the functionality of other aspects of MindForth. When we make sweeping changes for the sake of cumulative slosh-over, we discover that we have interfered with the ability of the AI to make proper responses to queries like "What are you?" and "What am I?" We then have the happy task of going back into the free AI source code and troubleshooting the simultaneous operation of the slosh-over display and the function of inhibition during responses to be-verb KB-queries.

Although we uploaded 18oct10A.F as a cleaned-up (commented-out) version of 17oct10A.F, we now rename the 17oct10A.F version as 22oct10A.F so that we may continue our work and embed comments that reflect the current calendar date of 22.OCT.2010.

2 Sat.23.OCT.2010 -- Making Minor Adjustments

It turns out that our Tutorial slosh-over message in the uploaded 18oct10A.F version was a little bit off, because the line of code "spike @ 30 - spike ! \ from JSAI; 18oct2010" was changing the "spike" value immediately after the declaration of the report.

It seems time to get rid of the useless "verbinc" (verb increment) variable that was used on 27apr2007. That variable does not even exist in the JavaScript AI.

Between 9oct10A.F and 22oct10A.F we seem to have lost the ability to tell the AI something like "you are code" and to get a valid response when we input "what are you" as a KB-query. In the meantime we did all the work on slosh-over for transitive verbs. Somehow we need to reconcile the transitive and intransitive treatments and we need to integrate the two functionalities.

3 Sat.23.OCT.2010 -- Tightening Up Activations

When we tell the AI, "you are code", currently we get a report:

418 : 50 56 0 0 0 7 58 50 to I 422 : 58 63 0 50 50 8 109 58 to BE 427 : 109 42 1 58 50 5 0 109 to CODE time: psi act num jux pre pos seq enx

As output we get, "I AM I". It may be that the "I" concept is being stored with too high an activation.

4 Sun.24.OCT.2010 -- Reconnecting VerbPhrase and PsiDamp

As we try to integrate our recent KB-query inhibition code and our even more recent slosh-over display code, we observe that the two functionalities are not mixing well, and that transitive verbs used in the slosh-over work are apparently not being psi-damped. So we inspect our free AI source code and we notice that, for some time now, the VerbPhrase module has apparently not been calling the PsiDamp module to knock down the cresting activation of a transitive (or other?) verb that has just been included in a thought. Our fully commented

24may09A.F code indicates that VerbPhrase lost a call to PsiDamp on 14jan2008 as recorded in the following two lines of code.

\ psiDamp \ 29apr2005 Necessary for chain of thought. \ psiDamp \ 14jan2008 Commenting out and using lopsi & hipsi.

Now let us try reinstating the call to PsiDamp from towards the end of the VerbPhrase module. Let us remark in advance that we are witnessing here the creaking, rumbling process of the AI Mind taking shape like a planet subject to earthquakes and continental drift and asteroid impacts. The artificial intelligence matures not linearly but zigzaggingly.

When we reinstate the call from VerbPhrase to PsiDamp, we observe a limited improvement in the performance of our AI Mind software. Now for the first time we see the uneasy coexistence of the KB-query inhibition function and the slosh-over pin-down function. We are still getting erroneous cross-over activations which interfere with our short-range goal of shifting effortlessly back and forth between the inhibition queries and the slosh-over displays. We must now decide whether to upload our code that has made progress but is far from perfect, or whether to keep on improving the functionality. Probably we should upload the code, because it has already reached an important juncture.

Mentifex

--

Mentifex