Artificial Intelligence MindForth Programming Journal -- 2011 April 15

Fri.15.APR.2011 -- New Coding After 25 February 2011
We are developing some ideas today about the difference between responding to "Who are you?" and "What are you?"
in the AI Mind. In our AI coding towards the end of 2009, we were using too many flag variables to keep track of the asking of a who-query or a what-query. Then towards the end of 2010 we were having substantial success with the use of neuronal inhibition to obtain the proper variation in multiple answers to the same question, such as"What are you?" Inhibiting each currently given answer made the AI able to summon successively different answers, such as "I am code" and "I am software" and "I am a robot." Now we want to go deeper into the machine psyche and enable the AI to respond differently to queries of "what" and queries of "who". We want to achieve this goal without the use of cumbersome query-flags.
One idea that we have had today is that we can differentiate between who-queries and what-queries by letting each one predispose either an "EnDefArt" module for the English definite article, or an"EnInDefArt" module for an English indefinite article. For example, we would like a "What are you?" query to engender a response with an indefinite article, such as, "I am a robot." On the other hand, we would like a "Who are you?" query to engender a response with the definite article, as in, "I am the robot."
Even with the new article modules, we will still need a way for the input of "who" or "what" to send a signal to the appropriate module. Instead of having mindgrid-wide, blanket query-flag variables as we did in late 2009, we may now be able to make use of the "statuscon" variables that we dreamed up in our MFPJ work of Fri.12.SEP.2008. For each of the new article modules, we will devise a "statuscon" variable so as to "prime" that mind-module to respond properly to the "who" or "what" inquiry. Say, using this "statuscon" technique may even enable proper answers to a compound query like, "Who and what are you?" We might get the AI to respond, "I am Andru and I am a robot." The main thing is, by shifting away from the mindgrid-wide query-variables and by using instead the "statuscon" variables, we may achieve a tighter integration between specific English words and the proper response to them.
Sat.16.APR.2011 -- Implementing Article Conditions
First we declare the variables "defartcon" and "indefartcon" for setting the definite or indefinite article condition. We run the artificial Forthmind, and it still works. Then into the EnArticle module we insert code to test the status of the new variables before saying "A" or "THE". The mechanism is rough now at first, but we ask "Who are you?" and the AI Mind responds "I AM BRAIN". When we ask "What are you?" the AI says, "I AM A BRAIN."
Mentifex -- http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/mindforth.txt http://robots.net/person/AI4U/diary/47.html http://cyborg.blogspot.com/2011/04/apr15mfpj.html (Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
Add pictures here
✖
[snipped]

Very schoolboy humour I know, but these may be the world's funniest variable names ever.
Add pictures here
✖
Actually these are derived from the military term "Defcon", with the addition of an artistic element, yielding "Def(art)con", ultimately abbreviated to "defartcon"
On 17/04/2011 7:05 PM, Alex McDonald wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 17, 10:25 am, Brian Martin

Artistically named or not, I'm sorry, I'm still giggling :-)

Add pictures here
✖

Yes, I was quite impressed with that. I'll never forget how I was blown back into my chair when I typed this into the AI mind:
fish eat bugs cats eat fish what are you?
My finger trembled over the "Enter" key, not knowing what to expect. And then, THE QUICKENING!!! I saw the most incredible reply. I still tingle when I think about it:
cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats cats eat you
And then the program ended because of a stack fault. Now, most people who don't know a damn thing about artificial intelligence might have ignored this. But I knew better. I knew the AI Mind was trying to warn me. In the brief time the AI Mind was running, it had correctly figured out that my cat was trying to eat me. Sure, she's playful and will nibble on my finger after I rub her chin. But the AI Mind figured out that she's really sizing me up for dinner. BAD KITTY!
http://japanisshinto.com/stuff/mentifex-warning.jpg
Add pictures here
✖