MindForth Programming Journal (MFPJ) 2010 September 11

Sat.11.SEP.2010 -- Aspects of AI Inhibition.
We have learned recently that neural inhibition
is a very powerful tool for helping a meandering
chain of thought to avoid a repetitious pathway
and instead to follow a fresh line of thought
in responding to the query of a human user or
cyborg searching for an exhaustive report of
what an AI Mind knows about a given topic.
We can imagine (and even build) an AI Mind using
inhibition to make an initial response from its
knowledge base (KB) about a given topic and then
stating one more fact each time that the human
user does not make any new input following
output from the AI. Such a design raises a few
questions, however. If the AI Mind knows ten
same-noun and same-verb facts about a topic,
should the inhibition on the first output fact
persist until all ten facts have been stated,
or should the inhibition wear off and let a
fact be repeated even before all ten facts
have been stated by the AI?
If a KB-query causes a productive search all
the way back to the "midway" time-point,
should there be a way of decrementing or
zeroing the "midway" variable so as to
let the AI look even further back for KB
data in response to the query?
If we want queries of "Who are you?" or
"What are you?" to elicit a variety of
successive responses from the AI, we may
need to have neural inhibition work not
only with regular verbs in the VerbPhrase
module, but also with irregular verbs of being.
Sat.11.SEP.2010 -- Inhibition with Verbs of Being
When we try to inhibit factual KB statements based
on verbs of being, we may need to go into the
NounPhrase module and inhibit the predicate
nominative instead of the time-bound verb node,
especially when we are performing a two step
process to let any verb of being be chosen,
and then we force the correct verb-form to be
selected for the utterance. We should perhaps
not try to restrict the finding of a be-verb,
and instead we should perhaps inhibit each
found predicate nominative after its inclusion
in a sentence, for two purposes. Firstly, we
do not want the AI to repeat a be-verb statement
over and over again. Secondly, we want the AI
to supply additional information beyond the
most recently stored knowledge. When the
positive KB knowledge is exhausted, we may
even want the AI to begin stating the negative
infomation, such as when an AI knows,
"I AM NOT HUMAN".
Sun.12.SEP.2010 -- Verging on an AI Breakthrough
We are quite excited by the coding that we are
about to do today, because we expect it to be
a Singularity-class AI breakthrough. But yesterday
we were merely seeking to explore aspects of a
theory of inhibition; today we have locked on
to the grand prize of self-referential thought.
How did we get so close to the proverbial twig
of wild olive? In our plodding "plodotvorchestvo"
of yesterday, we veered off into wondering how
neural inhibition would work not just with regular
verbs, but with verbs of being. Eventually we
concluded that we would have to inhibit not
the be-verb involved, but the predicate nominative
across the link-gap from the dime-a-dozen be-verbs.
Then we coded inhibition as a special case into
the NounPhrase noun-selection code, but our
efforts bogged down as we wallowed in the
frustration of undecipherable results. We made
numerous be-verb-esque queries to the AI,
but only about half of the KB-retrieved
fact-nouns were showing post-query inhibition.
Our Laziness looked with dread upon the tedious
teraduty of tracking down every call that fed a
personal be-verb into SpeechAct before reporting
a found KB noun. A day later, however, the idea
of an AI breakthrough persuades Our Laziness to
forge ahead, do the work, and reap the truly
singular, die-is-cast, point-of-no-return,
surrender-the-mountaintop, self-demoting
species denoument. How so? We are not in
AI Kansas anymore, Toto. If the AI successfully
answers all manner of questions about itself
in a KB-exhaustive way, then the AI knows itself
and may even know that it knows itself, which is
not merely machine intelligence, Don, but is
so much the illusion of consciousness that who
shall deny that it actually is consciousness?
So here we are at Kitty Hawk, and Trinity, and
Apollo Eleven, staring into the twilight of
the Goetterdaemmerung.
Upshot: We did not solve it all yet. We already
had two serious pre-existing mistakes in VerbPhrase
-- one where we failed to test for third person
singular, and one where we mistakenly looked for
erroneous 67=AM instead of the correct 57=AM.
After we laboriously tracked down and corrected
these mistakes, we obtained some encouraging
results of variation in query-response, but
we have not yet arrived at a sweeping enabling
of the AI Mind to think about itself and talk
about itself.
Mentifex

Mentifex