MindForth Programming Journal (MFPJ) 2010 August 23

Mon.23.AUG.2010 -- Calling WhoBe or WhatIs Properly

Today we would like to use the most-glaring-defect principle to start working on the problem of MindForth giving responses with "BE" instead of "IS".

As an obiter dictu item, let us record here the idea that we may get the AI to respond diferrently to who-queries and to what-queries by potentiating the EnArticle module for English articles. If we ask, "Who are you?", we might get, "I AM ANDRU". If we ask, "What are you?", we may hope to get "I AM AN ANDRU" or "I AM A ROBOT". The slight proclivity to use "A" or "AN" shows a good response to a what-query. It may also help with our endeavors to code

At the start of any True AI coding session, we may pursue either the "most glaring defect" or simply the first bug that presents itself, such as now when we type in "cat" and we receive the output "CAT WHO IS CAT". That unfortunate output indicates that the WhoBe module is being called unwarrantedly, because the word "cat" is not known to be either masculine or feminine, as a human person might be. Now we have solved the "cat" problem by tracking down the "mfn" and "mfnflag" values, and by zeroing out not only "mfn" but also "mfnflag" at the end of the EnBoot English-bootstrap module. After the debugging, we entered the single word "cat" and we got the reply, "CAT WHAT IS CAT CAT". We are not sure why the word "CAT" is reduplicated at the end of the output.

After hours of coding, we have gotten the AI

to ask "who is" or "what is" questions, depending upon whether an input word seems to denote a person or a thing. We have removed several bugs. We record the following dialog.

Robot: Human: god

Robot: GOD WHO IS GOD Human: god is jesus

Robot: JESUS WHO IS JESUS Human: jesus is lord

Robot: LORD WHAT IS LORD Human: lord is a spirit

Robot: A SPIRIT WHAT IS SPIRIT Human:

We have not reached the point where we may act like Knuth and offer a bounty on MindForth bugs, but we are now releasing our most robust ever AI code.

Mentifex

--

Mentifex

ROFL