Mount for Toy Motor

Hello,
I'm tring to make a cheap actuator using inexpensive toy motors. Many of these motors have a 6mm lip and two planetary mounting holes, roughly 2.3mm diam. and 11.5mm
apart. Is there any type of tapping screw that will fit these holes?
Brad Smallridge Ai Vision

Some motors have the mounting holes already tapped. I have some 550s that have #4-40. 2.3mm is pretty close to that.
JM

OK so I opened the motor up, tapped from the inside out to minimize chips, shortened some 4-40 screws with a file. What a mess. There must be a better way. What are 550s?
Brad
Brad Smallridge wrote:

550 refers to motor size.
If you don't need the absolute mounting strength, for smaller motors things like pipe hangers work very well. Get 'em at the home improvement store in the electrical department. You can often bend it in our out to adjust the size.
What also works is large cable ties and stick-on mounting base. Obviously not suitable for alignment accuracy but pulled tight a small motor won't go anywhere.
For neatness etc. drilling and tapping is indeed the way to go. At a minimum you could get some shorty 4-40s. You can routinely get them down to 3/16", though 1/4" or 5/16" might be better, depending on the thickness of the bulkhead you're mounting to.
-- Gordon
Hi, I'm considering experiments with self-learning mobile robot; my background includes mechanical engineering and programming, but not electronics design, so I'm looking for kit or detail description for set of main controller, actuator controller and data acquisition subsystem which provides *AT LEAST* 32 Kb RAM *OR* includes wireless communication channel to PC (in this case main data processing will be performed on PC). I can assembly such system from separated units, but I don't have knowledges about compatibility of components. Any suggestions welcomed.
Thanks, Nick

Perhaps forget about the screws and epoxy the motor to the mount?
Or buy motors already mounted in something, and adapt that.
Gordon McComb's own site has a few priced in the $4 to $9 range... http://www.budgetrobotics.com/shop/?shop=1&cat6 I've also seen other sites that had other arrangements of motors in a similar price range... here, I just found some, http://www.pololu.com/products/gearbox.html
Joe Dunfee