new microcontroller

Has anyone looked at the 16 bit microcontroller from www.cyantechnology.com let me know your thoughts.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:17:23 GMT, "mike elliott"

It seems like they drive their website with one of their controllers :-)
Seriousely, I d'like the debuging interface of it and the 32MB MMU etc, but harward architecture...
There is also no pricing information available. IMHO this is just one of a kind controller like many others available. Compareable stuff that comes to mind ARM7, Renesas M16C etc. etc.
Markus

I hope not, I've seen PICs do a better job!
I'm an AVR guy, interested by the "super avr" comment.. :)

It works fine here. Pretty fast even. Have you thought about the fact the problem lies not in their web site, but in your internet provider? They are located in the UK. And I'm not.
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:05:21 +0100, Guillaume <"grsNOSPAM at NOTTHATmail dot com"> wrote:

Don't think it's an ISP issue (unless on the originating end). I never got anything but a "connecting to..." when I first tried this morning. Just tried again (with a different browser, just in case there's any magic handshake that Opera didn't do) and still... nothing.
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:31:49 GMT, Rich Webb

The link loaded just fine from here.

Slow web site. Chip looks like a super-powered AVR. Documentation seems to be high quality (a good sign). Development kit looks interesting, but no pricing (not a good sign). Also, it doesn't look like there's a North American distributor.
Anyone know if there's been a review of the Dev kit? or does anyone know how much it costs? -Pete.
+ | http://home.comcast.net/~pete.gray / -
If the page ever loads, I'll let you know.
I think someone forgot to wind-up the website....

www.cyantechnology.com
Okay, now I got in and the website is fast - must have been a temporary site problem.
This device has plenty of I/O, clocks, timers, and gadget interfaces. It supports in-circuit C programming (as far as I can tell). It has an intelligent-looking development environment but simple IDE features (again judging by three screen-shots). The development card provides full access to the ports plus a proto area.
The kicker: Can't determine the price of anything. There is a US office in Wakefield, Mass. and a single US distributor covering IL/WI called Metcom Associates. It seems that this company is selling to commercial developers judging by the need for regional sales offices and lack of web-sales. This outfit doesn't seen interested in hobbists, so evaluation units and development kits could be astronomical. And, expect to support yourself.
Just my first impressions.

Hmmm. Wonder when companies will understand that hobbyists also include commercial developers who may want to "play" with a new processor to see whether it might fit into future development plans.
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

I hear you. I hate it when you have to 'qualify' as a customer. I don't know about these guys, but it just feels like they're looking to bag OEM quantity deals. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm sure that Basic Micro, Parallax, and others are making a killing on quantity transactions of two-fer sales to hobbyists.

site
(again
in
developers
This
J DeLuca wrote:

This part has been out for over two years, and you can buy an evaluation kit. It's 84.26 pounds, plus VAT. A US distributor will sell it for $299.
                John Nagle

The website lists Farnell as a distributor, but see below.

Which distributor are you getting this price from ?
Farnell list the price for the ecog1 evaluation kit as 135 UKP.
Thanks,
Simon.
Microsoft: The Standard Oil Company of the 21st century
I called the US number, and got voice mail for a cell phone. Not very promising.
As it happens, I live about a mile or so from where they are ! I'll investigate ...
regards, Dave Garnett