new to robotics

What are the best books and/or places to get started with robotics?
I will be taking courses at school soon, but I want to start teaching
myself in the meantime.
Where do I start?
On 24 Mar 2007 08:21:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'd suggest Google.

I would start by learning to read the diagram on your washing machine. No kidding. You will see the fundamentals of sensors and controls, programming logic and a whole lot more. Then I would buy some cheap relays from a surplus house such as All Electronics, etc. and learn ladder logic which will lead you right into basic programming thinking.
Let us know how you make out!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Seems you've already *started* by posting this.
Next question!
Seriously, the public library is the place to continute your budding education. It's free, just like Google, and the information tends to be more authoritative.
-- Gordon

Okay, bear with me in my postings. Let me know if I'm getting ahead of myself. My next question would be when programming robots, what language is used and onto which part of the robot? How is it installed into the robot?
-Dan

In my opinion you are way ahead of yourself if you don't understand basic ladder logic programming nor BASIC. You first develop a flow diagram with what you expect from your bot, then you figure out the mechanics and kinds of servos or steppers, then you decide the programming language and platform to control the system.
Study the electrical diagram on your washer to get a start. Once you master it, go to your home furnace and master that circuitry. Then you will be ready to tackle robotics.

Thanks a lot,
I will take a look at the washer and furnace. I will also take out books and read up. It seems complex to me right now, also very interesting. I'll definitely stick around this newsgroup for help and updates.
-Daniel
Get a hold of Lego Mindstorms, its probably too simplistic but definately the most fun way to start. What you should read depends on what you want to do with Robotics.

dannyds wrote:

I'd start with reading some of the books at the library first. And see if you can pick up the latest copies of SERVO and Nuts & Volts magazine. A lot of your questions will take care of themselves.
-- Gordon
On 24 Mar 2007 08:21:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Gordon McComb is being somewhat over modest with his advice. He's the author of several well regarded books on robotics including the Robot Builder's Bonanza. His book introduce the fundamentals of robot design and the mechanics and electronics used in them. Perhaps your local library has his books on the shelf, or try a good technical bookstore. Supplement that information with web searches and you'll be an evil robotics genius in no time. (Actually it will take time, but learn all you can at school and use their machine shops while you have access. Oh for a full size metal lathe!)
____________________________________________________ "I like to be organised. A place for everything. And everything all over the place."

Ditto on Tim's advice! Gordon's book is the first robot (building) book I ever bought. I prefer the 2nd edition. JCD

The Robot Builder's Sourcebook is also a goldmine of practical advice and how-to articles, in addition to pointing you in the right direction to get your hardware and other goodies.
On 324, 5ʱ21, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

One suggestion if you want to know something about industrial robot: <Introduction to Robotics: Mechanics and Control> Author: Craig,J.J.