new to robotics

What are the best books and/or places to get started with robotics?

I will be taking courses at school soon, but I want to start teaching myself in the meantime.

Where do I start?

Reply to
dionne.daniel

I'd suggest Google.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

I would start by learning to read the diagram on your washing machine. No kidding. You will see the fundamentals of sensors and controls, programming logic and a whole lot more. Then I would buy some cheap relays from a surplus house such as All Electronics, etc. and learn ladder logic which will lead you right into basic programming thinking.

Let us know how you make out!

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Seems you've already *started* by posting this.

Next question!

Seriously, the public library is the place to continute your budding education. It's free, just like Google, and the information tends to be more authoritative.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Okay, bear with me in my postings. Let me know if I'm getting ahead of myself. My next question would be when programming robots, what language is used and onto which part of the robot? How is it installed into the robot?

-Dan

Reply to
dannyds

In my opinion you are way ahead of yourself if you don't understand basic ladder logic programming nor BASIC. You first develop a flow diagram with what you expect from your bot, then you figure out the mechanics and kinds of servos or steppers, then you decide the programming language and platform to control the system.

Study the electrical diagram on your washer to get a start. Once you master it, go to your home furnace and master that circuitry. Then you will be ready to tackle robotics.

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Thanks a lot,

I will take a look at the washer and furnace. I will also take out books and read up. It seems complex to me right now, also very interesting. I'll definitely stick around this newsgroup for help and updates.

-Daniel

Reply to
dannyds

I'd start with reading some of the books at the library first. And see if you can pick up the latest copies of SERVO and Nuts & Volts magazine. A lot of your questions will take care of themselves.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Gordon McComb is being somewhat over modest with his advice. He's the author of several well regarded books on robotics including the Robot Builder's Bonanza. His book introduce the fundamentals of robot design and the mechanics and electronics used in them. Perhaps your local library has his books on the shelf, or try a good technical bookstore. Supplement that information with web searches and you'll be an evil robotics genius in no time. (Actually it will take time, but learn all you can at school and use their machine shops while you have access. Oh for a full size metal lathe!)

____________________________________________________ "I like to be organised. A place for everything. And everything all over the place."

Reply to
Tim Polmear

Gordon's book can be found at Amazon.com - used and new, from nine bucks up:

Wayne Lundberg

On 3=D4=C224=C8=D5, =CF=C2=CE=E75=CA=B121=B7=D6, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wr= ote:

One suggestion if you want to know something about industrial robot: Author: Craig,J.J.

Reply to
Bruce

Ditto on Tim's advice! Gordon's book is the first robot (building) book = I ever bought. I prefer the 2nd edition. JCD

Reply to
Pogo

The Robot Builder's Sourcebook is also a goldmine of practical advice = and how-to articles, in addition to pointing you in the right direction = to get your hardware and other goodies.

Reply to
Pogo