newbie

Hi - I am completly new to robotics and have what is hopefully a very simple question. I have written a small C++ app that will read/write to the parallel port. I have noticed that I can read a written value from the port easily, however I am unsure on exactly where these values are being stored! - I have no cables attached to the port. I have read quite a lot of info on the paralel port, but like I said I am completly new to this and also have no experience in electronics - I'll probably blow my PC up :)

regards James

Reply to
James

Thanks for the tip off - I am however using an old 266mhz CPU on a board that I can replace for around £10. So if I do fry something, it will be part of my learning I suppose - but I will now get one of those. If anyone here is in the UK then I would sure like to get some advice on where to buy/salvage resistors, pcb's etc - what are the possibilities. I would like to start off by simply getting some LED's lit up etc, but looking through all the tutorials on this confuses me as to which resistors and LED's to use - Any advice would be grateful as electronic suppliers make life a little difficult for the newbie

thanks

Reply to
James

Am I ok to use 5V LED's with built in resistors? - I think I need a link to an electronics beginners site as even the link above does not seem to tell me what I can use -

thanks

Reply to
James

I don't know about the specifics of your 5Volt LEDs with built-in resistors, but you can try.

I think you mentioned that if you blast this motherboard it's not too big a deal, so plug it in and see. if it's really bright, I'd add another 100 Ohm resistor and then another and another in series until it gets not too bright.

Reply to
Alan Kilian

Thankyou for all your help - link looks extremely useful