NOBODY needs robots !!!

These pieces of crap are just stealing our jobs and we'll be unemployed beggars !

We should OUTLAW robots once and for all !

Reply to
Gerard Mindstep

Yeah right.

That's what they said about computers in 1985

Reply to
fulliautomatix

how about 1965, and 1955. See Desk Set with Tracy and Hepburn.

Reply to
Pat Farrell

No, blame the guy who mounted a shaft on a stone and called it "an axe."

Reply to
Bjarne Bäckst
1)first of all i would like to point out that we are hobbists and are not trying to take your job 2)second of all robots make our life easier, and they save troops. 3)third of all, if you are so scared that your job is going to be taken, you must not work very hard, becasue robots cannot do many tasks as of right now 4)lastly, it will be at bare minimum thirty years before robots will be able to take real jobs, and probably forty until they will be affordable

P.S. 1)last time i checked robots werent made out of crap 2)your a dumbass a typical jock, an un-educated american. Please do not post to our group if you cannot understand at least a third of the posts

Reply to
MR Robot

You're replying to a troll. Always ignore the trolls.

-- Gordon

MR Robot wrote:

Reply to
Gordon McComb

"Gordon McComb" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@NOgmccombSPAM.com...

You're replying to a answer-troll. Always ignore the answer-trolls ;-)

--

-Stan

Reply to
Stan

de

Reply to
blueeyedpop

his email is piano snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com and he has posted a lot of stuff on other groups, you can click show options and find this out. I think that i might go to a bunch of websites and sign him up for a lot of spam. that will show him no to post again.

Reply to
MR Robot

They have saved troops so far. But if history is any guide, it is only a matter of time before any new weapon is available to both sides. In the end, robots may prove more useful to the terrorists/ insurgents.

Hop on a flight to Nagoya, and visit a modern Toyota automobile factory. You will see more robots than people. Robots are replacing lots of people now. You will see many more a lot sooner than thirty years from now.

I think you are underestimating the cost reductions that mass production can deliver. Some Japanese companies have built humanoid robots with multi- million dollar price tags, but that is mostly non-recurring R&D costs, and says nothing about what the robot would really cost if thousands, or millions, were manufactured.

A human scale robot contains a lot less metal and plastic than a car, and should therefore cost much less. The replication cost of the "intelligence" is near zero. Once a human can be replaced by a robot that costs six months of the human's salary, expect to see a lot more robots. Most assembly jobs are already going, construction and service jobs may go next. Eventually any job that doesn't require creativity will be a candidate for automation.

Reply to
Bob

Obviously there is going to have to be sociological and political changes as robot workers become common. But are robot workers at all necessary? Yes. In every industrial country in the world, birth rate has fallen to below replacement level. Robots will not be taking the intelligent and creative human endevours, they have been used to do the repititious and mundane type of work.

Reply to
tastytoad

At the risk of sounding Clintonian, this really depends on how you define "robot" and "useful". I doubt a robot in the sense of Sony or Honda's humanoid models will ever be economically or logistically useful to insurgents. However, robots like those used in the military I see as having some potential, but these amount to little more than fancy radio-controlled cars. It could then be argued that insurgents are already using this technology in the form of cell-phones and actual RC cars to remotely detonate bombs.

Typically, terrorists seem to prefer simple, inexpensive technologies, which any machine deserving of the term "robot" is unlikely to be. In this sense, I don't see "real" robots being any more useful to terrorists than tanks or laser-guided missles. The total cost of ownership and maintenance is just too high.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Spencer

Typically, the military doesn't fight terrorists until after they have done their damage. Insurgents are a different story--they often _do_ have sophisticated weaponry.

Reply to
J. Clarke

if you call m-16s sophisticated

Reply to
MR Robot

Robot: A mechanical device that senses its environment and makes decisions based on that sensor info to physically manipulate its environment.

Useful: In this context, the ability to kill, maim, or otherwise incapacitate people you don't like.

I doubt they would be very useful to the US military either. But a robot doesn't have to be humanoid to be a robot.

An R/C car is not a real robot because it does not sense its environment, and it makes no decisions. But most military "robots" have sensors, and many make some of their own decisions. The "kill" decision is still human controlled, because we are still uncomfortable with machines making that decision. But a terrorist would not be restrained by similar compunctions.

I have read about insurgents using cell phones to detonate bombs in parked cars. But I have not heard of them using RC cars to deliver bombs, although it seems like a logical approach. There is a scene in one of the "Dirty Harry" movies where the bad guys try to kill Harry with a gasoline powered R/C car. When I saw the movie, I wondered why bad guys didn't do that in real life. It seemed very effective in the movie (although Harry survived).

Reply to
Bob

It would help greatly if you quoted the statement to which you were responding.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Uh duh ... Da Military IS terrorist ! And Terrorists is da Military and da Govt , and da stinkin society that says it's OK to "regulate" people til they wanna join da military to get a a paycheck to be terrorist ....

It is all connected .....Free men don't do terrorism , ..they're too busy makin $$$$ and driving they're BMW's , unless they are da Govt in which case they DO make $$ at terroism ( selling bullets ).

Now try to figure how taxation fits in here !

Reply to
werty

Computers were supposed to nix jobs so we could raise our standard of living. That "raise" part will stump you for weeks !

Or the reverse , if we create jobs we destroy all productivity and end up with complete failure of society .

Only free men produce , and the WM produces more than any other .

And this is why i'm working on destroying Microsoft by creating an OpSys for the new PC replacement ( ARM CPU )

has an ITX w/ Linux . I want to destroy millions of jobs .. C+ programming jobs .

Reply to
werty

J. Clark wrote

Mr. Robot wrote

Reply to
MR Robot

I see. So what were the Afghanis using to take down Hinds? But maybe they don't qualify as "insurgents". Then there's the little matter of the air defense of Hanoi, that took down B-52s. But I guess they weren't "insurgents" either. Then there was that little mess in Somalia, but I guess they weren't "insurgents" either.

Reply to
J. Clarke