NOBODY needs robots !!!

These pieces of crap are just stealing our jobs and we'll be unemployed beggars !
We should OUTLAW robots once and for all !

Gerard Mindstep wrote:

Yeah right.
That's what they said about computers in 1985
fulliautomatix wrote:

how about 1965, and 1955. See Desk Set with Tracy and Hepburn.
--
Pat

No, blame the guy who mounted a shaft on a stone and called it "an axe."
--
http://www.flexusergroup.com /

1)first of all i would like to point out that we are hobbists and are not trying to take your job 2)second of all robots make our life easier, and they save troops. 3)third of all, if you are so scared that your job is going to be taken, you must not work very hard, becasue robots cannot do many tasks as of right now 4)lastly, it will be at bare minimum thirty years before robots will be able to take real jobs, and probably forty until they will be affordable
P.S. 1)last time i checked robots werent made out of crap 2)your a dumbass a typical jock, an un-educated american. Please do not post to our group if you cannot understand at least a third of the posts
You're replying to a troll. Always ignore the trolls.
-- Gordon
MR Robot wrote:

You're replying to a answer-troll. Always ignore the answer-trolls ;-)
-- -Stan
Your're replying to an answer answer .... oh never mind

his email is piano snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com and he has posted a lot of stuff on other groups, you can click show options and find this out. I think that i might go to a bunch of websites and sign him up for a lot of spam. that will show him no to post again.
MR Robot wrote:

They have saved troops so far. But if history is any guide, it is only a matter of time before any new weapon is available to both sides. In the end, robots may prove more useful to the terrorists/ insurgents.

Hop on a flight to Nagoya, and visit a modern Toyota automobile factory. You will see more robots than people. Robots are replacing lots of people now. You will see many more a lot sooner than thirty years from now.

I think you are underestimating the cost reductions that mass production can deliver. Some Japanese companies have built humanoid robots with multi- million dollar price tags, but that is mostly non-recurring R&D costs, and says nothing about what the robot would really cost if thousands, or millions, were manufactured.
A human scale robot contains a lot less metal and plastic than a car, and should therefore cost much less. The replication cost of the "intelligence" is near zero. Once a human can be replaced by a robot that costs six months of the human's salary, expect to see a lot more robots. Most assembly jobs are already going, construction and service jobs may go next. Eventually any job that doesn't require creativity will be a candidate for automation.
Obviously there is going to have to be sociological and political changes as robot workers become common. But are robot workers at all necessary? Yes. In every industrial country in the world, birth rate has fallen to below replacement level. Robots will not be taking the intelligent and creative human endevours, they have been used to do the repititious and mundane type of work.
Bob wrote:

At the risk of sounding Clintonian, this really depends on how you define "robot" and "useful". I doubt a robot in the sense of Sony or Honda's humanoid models will ever be economically or logistically useful to insurgents. However, robots like those used in the military I see as having some potential, but these amount to little more than fancy radio-controlled cars. It could then be argued that insurgents are already using this technology in the form of cell-phones and actual RC cars to remotely detonate bombs.
Typically, terrorists seem to prefer simple, inexpensive technologies, which any machine deserving of the term "robot" is unlikely to be. In this sense, I don't see "real" robots being any more useful to terrorists than tanks or laser-guided missles. The total cost of ownership and maintenance is just too high.
Chris
Chris Spencer wrote:

Typically, the military doesn't fight terrorists until after they have done their damage. Insurgents are a different story--they often _do_ have sophisticated weaponry.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
MR Robot wrote:

It would help greatly if you quoted the statement to which you were responding.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clark wrote

Mr. Robot wrote

MR Robot wrote:

I see. So what were the Afghanis using to take down Hinds? But maybe they don't qualify as "insurgents". Then there's the little matter of the air defense of Hanoi, that took down B-52s. But I guess they weren't "insurgents" either. Then there was that little mess in Somalia, but I guess they weren't "insurgents" either.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

They used U.S. supplied Stinger missles. Stingers are heat seeking. They home in on infrared.

Of course they were insurgents.

Mostly Soviet supplied radar guided SA-2 SAM missles. But we also lost some B-52s to MiG fighters and AAA flak guns (I believe Jane Fonda was photographed with one of these).

No, of course not. They were regular soldiers serving the established government of North Vietnam. They wore uniforms and bore arms openly. In no way were they "insurgents". Hanoi was defended by the NVA, not the VC.

I believe the US Blackhawks were downed with RPGs.

Debatable. Insurgents fight to overthrow an established goverment, of which Somolia had none.
Bob wrote:

Indeed.
The issue is not whether they were "insurgents" but that they despite limited resources and a limited indigenous technological base had access to weapons considerably more sophisticated than M-16s.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Folks, PLEASE take the political commentary elsewhere. There are many forums for this subject. These types of threads easily degenerate to name calling and pull down the friendly nature of user-to-user help groups.
This is precisely why I suggested not responding to trolls. The person who started this thread must surely be sitting back and grinning at his handywork.
-- Gordon