OrcBoard: an open-source robotics controller platform

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know that the robotics controller used in MIT's 6.186 robotics competition

and in MIT's cornerstone two-term robotics classwork has its own website.

The OrcBoard project is completely open-source, from schematics, firmware, to user libraries.

Unlike other many other robotics controllers, this one is designed to be a slave to a laptop or embedded PC. This way you program in your favorite language and environment, and aren't constrained by limited CPU power/memory.

Here's a brief feature list:

  • USB or serial connectivity to host computer * Four high current (>2A), bi-directional motor drivers, each with a dedicated enable, and current sensing capability. * Two channels of quadrature phase decoders * 12 A/D ports, most 14 bits, with programmable low-pass filters * 12 fully programmable digital I/O (including programmable pull-ups) * Built-in Analog Devices iMEMS Gyro integrator * SRF04-compatible sonar compatibility (two channels) * 4 Futaba-style servo controllers, two with current sensing capability (up to 8 with special firmware) * Two 100kbps I2C expansion ports, implementing a host-to-I2C bridge. * OrcPad Connector * Designed to support in-system battery recharging using inexpensive, standard 12V lead-acid batteries. * Supports single power supply (one battery for both motors and logic) * Supports input voltages from 10V-24V. Has internal 5A, high efficiency 5V switching power supply. * Fully reprogrammable, customizable, open-source firmware * Measures 4.5" x 3.125" x < 0.75"

The OrcPad is a key accessory to the OrcBoard, providing a user interface:

  • 128x64 monochrome graphical LCD with backlight * 2-axis analog joystick * Three push buttons, including an "Emergency Stop" * Fully reprogrammable, customizable, open-source firmware * Measures 4.5" x 2" x < 1"

We don't have a commercial manufacturer, but there's a community group-ordering effort; whenever we get enough orders for a batch, we'll do a production run.

We welcome new users! Or if you have any comments, please feel free to use the wiki

or send me an email: snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu

-Edwin Olson

Reply to
edwinolson