Question about stk 500 (atmel)

I received mine yesterday. Of course it would have been nice if, ahem, the sales rep told me that I needed my own 10-15VDC regulated power supply. But anyway, it is now up and running and I was able to find a program that would light the LED's in a different manner then they were when they came, ie without pushing the buttons.

My question is, after I wrote the program in bascom and compiled it, I tried simulating it. I could see the lines being stepped thru, but nothing was happening on the board. So I pressed "enable/disable" hardware simulation, but one time I got an error "monitor not found", and the next time I got an error "com port 4 not found". I know it uses com port 4 because when I set up the atmel studio 4, that's the com port it assigned to the stk500. I only have 2, and the other one is already in use.

So I went back into avrstudio 4 and established connection with the stk

500, by pressing the connect icon. It showed me that I had a ATmega 8515 chip in the socket, but I just wasn't thinking (it is really a AT90s8515), so I pressed the erase button and it erased the chip. Then it asked me for a hex file to program into the chip.

I went to where my compiled bascom files were and double clicked on the only .hex file there was, pressed the program button (this is in avrstudio4 now) and it immediately programmed the chip.

Now I thought we were supposed to be able to do all this right from bascom. I believe I set all the right links up in bascom, at least per the manual, but if this is how it should be done, that's OK too.

I was just wondering if this is how everyone does it. You create your hex file in bascom, and then go to avrstudio and program that into the chip?

Oh and one more thing. When I specify the chip to be the AT90s8515, for some reason, I get an error when I try to program it.

I also received an ATmega16 chip along with the stk 500. I'm really not sure when I will get to that one. I'm having too much fun with this now.

TIA, Joe

Reply to
Joe

Hi,

It's a small world, have a look in the bascom forum Kimi has answered your questions.

By the way a AT90S8515 isn't the same as a MEGA8515, your Bascom program may not work correctly if you've defined th wrong chip type.

Regards Ian Dobson

Home of the Atmel based UDP mobile web cam

mails scanned with av-filter.pl (F-Prot / perl)

-"Joe" schrieb im Newsbeitrag -news: snipped-for-privacy@77g2000hsv.googlegroups.com...

->I received mine yesterday. Of course it would have been nice if, ahem,

-> the sales rep told me that I needed my own 10-15VDC regulated power

-> supply. But anyway, it is now up and running and I was able to find a

-> program that would light the LED's in a different manner then they were

-> when they came, ie without pushing the buttons.

->

[...]

ian dobson

Hi Ian,

Yes, I have been corresponding with her this afternoon. You misunderstand. I know that they are two quite different chips. If you read my message to her carefully, you would see that what I said was that the avrstudio would program it as a mega8515, however, in bascom, the only option you have is to specify "8515.dat", which you will see is also in the beginning of the program. A program which someone else wrote and made available to the group. Bascom will not program it and I don't know why. Is a dos screen supposed to appear when you tell it to 'send to chip' ? And then disappear so fast that you can't even see why it couldn't perform the job?

Something is wrong, and I still don't know what it is.

Joe

Reply to
Joe