Re: Can you reuse RC Servo circuit for larger motor?

Hi James, I saw an internet article awhile back about doing this, although I can't remember any of the details or where I saw it. All I can say is YES it's possible. It probably involved adding an additional circuit to drive the larger motor.
-tom
It depends on the servo circuit, but yes it can be done. There is a H-bridge on the circuit board, you simply bypass that h-bridge and have it drive a bigger more powerful H-bridge. Before you do though, check out www.lynxmotion.com, he has a big huge box full of large servo circuit boards. These are the electronics out of the big Quarter Scale servos SHB-01on the website. Can save you a lot of trouble doing it.

Thanks for your response Steve.
Your solution sounds interesting but I must admit I don't fully understand what you're trying to say here. Can you possibly show me a simple (ASCII) schematic of your setup?
Thanks, James

the
ohm then

lights
or
run a

Hi James. what Steve is saying is that you replace the motor itself with a two optoisolators (leds with photoresistors/transistors) in opposing directions. Each one is connected to a larger transistor/h-bridge to drive the larger motor. The purpose if the optoisolators is to seperate the circuits while still allowing one to interact with the other. When the motor would normally be going forward, it turns on one transistor, and when in reverse (it now activates the other optoisolator) the other.
By "69" he means togther in opposing directions.
-tom
Thanks Tom, it makes sense.
James

understand
(ASCII)
when
Thanks much for this Robert. Very interesting site.

more
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------1F2C863976AA5E3F5A505201 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
The nice thing about this lawnmower circuit is that its very simple. The down side is that it limits you to a supply of 5-7 volts.
I like using the Chuck Mcmannis circuit where the opto isolators enable a higher voltage and the FETs do the current amplification.
Steve
"James H." wrote:

fn:Steve Vorres end:vcard
--------------1F2C863976AA5E3F5A505201--
If you are interested in driving large medium to high power motors you should check out the Open Source Motor Controller project. Robot hobbyists have collaborated in creating an open source design that incorporates excellent features. The OSMC can be built for relatively little cost. You can get more information about the OSMC project at: