Real simple I guess

Hello

I am a begginer in robotics so take it easy with me. The robot I want to build is to be controlled directly from my laptop (like "turn on motor 1 now", but merged into a programming language) and it is supposed to be plugged into the wall so there is no need for energy considerations. Now my question is about the interface between the computer and the motors. I really don't think i need a microcontroller for this since i don't need a cpu and memory-banks and all that comes with a microcontroller. I basically just need ten switches that can be controlled from a computer. Where can I find such a thing?

This is probably really simple, but as i said, i'm a beginner, so don't go too rough on me :P

Oskar

Reply to
Oskar Sigvardsson

Hi Oskar,

Oskar Sigvardss>

I did a Google search with

?PC I/O? 'parallel port' and relay

and it produced the following results (As well as 141 others)

happyhobit

This company has several serially controlled relay boards that would work with VB source code for controlling them

Regards,

-Bruce snipped-for-privacy@rentron.com

Bruce

I've got a couple of pages below with very simple stuff for parallel port control. You may still be able to find the 74hct259 chips at Radio Shack. These work well with simple on/off setups.

Si Ballenger

i am looking for same stuff too but i need speed(PWM) and direction control too.

check out mini ssc. or the sv203 from pontech

Kunjan