Robots balancing on two legs

I have been doing some research into robotics lately and have come across some impressive balancing bots based on two wheels using
gyroscopes and similar techonolgies for keeping it upright.
However, I feel for a robot to be able to walk around in complex environment like a house with stair and all, you need some kind of legs.
I also recently saw a demonstration of the QRIO robot from Sony which seem to be walking on two legs. It also demonstrates pretty versatile joints that mimic the human shoulder and hip "ball-joints".
Does anyone have any more resources on how robots like these are constructed?
Maybe someone has tried making a robot that can balance on "stilts"?
Best regards