Servo drive signals for HP 7978 tape drive controller

I have an old HP 7978 magtape drive with two lovely servomotors I guess about 6" diameter and 8" long. The P/S and drive hardware
is separated in the box from the control electonics, joined by a flat ribbon cable.
To re-use the servo gear, I'd like to know what signals get sent down that ribbon. Can anyone suggest a way of finding out (that doesn't involve hours with a meter and CRO)?
Clifford.

Hi Clifford.
You might be able to find a manual for the thing online somewhere, especially if the drive is a rebadged Fujitsu, Cypher, or other common brand. I have manuals for several 9-track drives, and they all have schematics.
I am using Fujitsu 9-track reel motors for the main drive on my robot. The servo board was about 8x14", and contained two bipolar H-bridges built onto a massive heatsink. I scrapped that thing, and instead use a dual MOSFET H-bridge on a 2.5x4" card to drive them.
Jeff.
--
Jeff Shirley
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com