Sharp GP2Y0A02YK IR sensor

Hi all,
I'm reading an analog signal from a Sharp IR sensor (GP2Y0A02YK) into my microcontroller. I have a few question I was hoping someone could
answer:
The values I get back from the sensor range from about 700-840 depending on distance. However, once in a while I will get a value of 1023. I'm wondering is this a problem with my code (i.e. I'm reading the values too fast) or is it just something to expect from the sensor. I'm hoping it's software, but if not I can always just feed it through a low-pass filter.
Thanks in advance, -weg