Speech & Other Delays

Hello, While I am enthused with the progress that has been made the last 7 years with robotics, I have noticed that with Asimo & other robotic systems there is a 5 second (or longer) delay when responding to commands or questions. Why is this & how can there be a quicker response time?

Joel

Reply to
forex10

I don't know -- when I speak to my Mac, it responds pretty much instantly (using the built-in speech recognition services). My guess is that the makers of Asimo just haven't invested that much effort into optimizing that part of their robot.

Best,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

My guess is they can't type/sequence moves any faster.

- Daniel

Reply to
D Herring

I am inclined to agree. But not because I have any first hand knowledge.

AFAIK, Asimo is controlled by a crew in back of the stage pushing buttons and such. Kind of a high tech ventriloquist dummy. There is no voice recognition or any other autonomous function on board.

I find it disappointing that Honda treats this more as entertainment than as tech/science show and tell.

I attended a demonstration a few years back at the Science Center in Toronto. No questions were allowed!

They are fascinating machines. I just wish that Honda would go "open source" and spend a little time explaining how they work.

DOC

Reply to
doc

Interesting thing about Asimo - with this robot, Honda has a very (well, mostly) stable humanoid platform to do advanced research on. I think there are groups in Honda who are doing that sort of thing with Asimo, but the ones they do the song and dance with are clearly not.

There was a blurb in that robosapiens show a while back about the vision research Honda was doing with Asimo...

Later, Jon

Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)

Jon Hylands