TCP/IP and UDP over RS232

I have a suite of applications programs which are running on separete computers with WinXP and RedHat Linux. Computers are connected to each other via a local ethernet hub.
Applications communicate with each other by TCP/IP and UDP without any problem. Now I need to put one of the computer on a mobile platform and it will communicate with the other computer over long distances via radio modem. (Wireless ethernet is not an option due to long distance).
How can I confgure WinXP and RedHat Linux to redirect its ethernet activity (TCP/IP and UDP) to serial port ?
<Wenpgro Souwgrou> writes:

Use PPP.
--
Mns Rullgrd
snipped-for-privacy@kth.se
<Wenpgro Souwgrou> wrote in message

Google for 'PPP' and the appropriate operating system.
DS
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:36:41 +1000, <Wenpgro Souwgrou> wrote:

Will this be a full duplex or half duplex connection? If full duplex, PPP should work fine. If half duplex, then you will probably have to look at some of the work being done in amateur radio on both platforms.
JT
I have also used slip on the Linux box. ifconfig has to be configured appropiately, look also into the dip program and slattach. JM
<Wenpgro Souwgrou> wrote in message

activity
You could use one of the ethernet to 802.11 adapters (Linksys has a nice one that works without drivers, etc. http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid3&scid6&prid `3) or maybe a USB to 802.11. I use the latter on one of my robotic platforms. Works like a champ! MUCH higher bandwidth than serial, and better RF reliability than the RF-RS232 units I have tried.
--Steve
Original post refers to long distances. 802.11 would only work in relativelly small radius.

one