How expensive would it be to add a Cat 5 port to TVs and VCRs

What kind of cost would it be to put your TV or VCR on your LAN?
It would be cool to be able to program my VCR from my computer.
It would also be nice to send a movie from my computer to my TV.

After re reading this, I should add....How much would the technology add to the cost of the TV/VCR? I know the current electronics will not do this.
metspitzer wrote:

You still have a VCR?
Take a look at http://www.mythtv.org/ There are commercial versions of this, based on (Yech!) Vista and more or less generic PC hardware.

You need a ReplayTV
| What kind of cost would it be to put your TV or VCR on your LAN?
Adding the port ... a few cents.
Hooking the port into the electronics ... a few more cents.
Making the electronics inside the set actually understand how to communicate with other devices on the LAN ... priceless.
| It would be cool to be able to program my VCR from my computer.
What? You want a usable human interface?
| It would also be nice to send a movie from my computer to my TV.
DVI to HDMI already exists. Of course you do have to get the computer close to the TV to do this.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

I wouldn't call 80 feet (or more), "close"...
http://www.datapro.net/products/dvi-inline-repeater-booster.html
-- Sue

Yeah, but the cable would be a monster.
A little old Cat 5 cable can go about anywhere.
It's still not practical wire up a new house with HDMI everywhere, but it is practical to do that with CAT6.
On 8 Aug 2008 03:01:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

Only because there is no such thing as an "HDMI Splitter/Combiner" or an "HDMI Distribution Amplifier" on the consumer market... much less repeaters. There are some 1 in 4 out POS items out there, but I have seen a lot of bad items as well. Many add "snow" and other artifacts to what we thought was an error free image standard.
When one does arrive, it will likely be some cheap Chinese crap that has stepped outside the boundaries that keep US and legit makers from producing such an item. Buyer beware.
On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:17:05 -0700 StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

If find one that can add snow to HDCP protected video, let me know.
| When one does arrive, it will likely be some cheap Chinese crap that | has stepped outside the boundaries that keep US and legit makers from | producing such an item. Buyer beware.
Including HDCP cracking.
On 8 Aug 2008 18:36:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

The very first one I bought. one in, three out. The screens carry artifacts when I use it that do not appear direct linked, or when I use the new unit I have.
HD DVD and Blu Ray devices reveal a lot as they put out about the purest HDMI fed HI Def picture available at this time. Piping their signal through that switch is the saddest excuse for an electronic product I have ever seen. It's a damned shame that we cannot sue folks like that, as was once possible.
On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:43:54 -0700 StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt
| On 8 Aug 2008 18:36:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: | |> |>If find one that can add snow to HDCP protected video, let me know. | | | The very first one I bought. one in, three out. The screens carry | artifacts when I use it that do not appear direct linked, or when I use | the new unit I have. | | HD DVD and Blu Ray devices reveal a lot as they put out about the purest | HDMI fed HI Def picture available at this time. Piping their signal | through that switch is the saddest excuse for an electronic product I | have ever seen. It's a damned shame that we cannot sue folks like that, | as was once possible.
Sue the retailer you bought the piece of Chinese crap from.
On 8 Aug 2008 20:33:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

Fry's Electronics. They would settle for court costs, the loss I suffered on the item, plus a small inconvenience "fee".
Or fight it, and end up with the same result. It is likely a poorly shielded layout or the like, or the supply feeding it is sad.
Bad design either way. It shouldn't require a suit though. These stores should know what they are selling, and be responsible for it when it sucks. Being required to bring the courts into it is an unneeded waste. There should be a law about guarantees and warranties.
Speaking of stupid behavior, the Wall-e game demo for the PS3 is set to about 20dB higher audio volume level than the XMB interface or any other title made for the PS3, so it damn near blows your speakers out when the intro comes up. I contacted Disney, and they pointed me to the game author's site. No reply yet to the email I sent them, referring to the guy that set that volume level as being about as incompetent a programmer as it gets. Still waiting for the reply. They are damned lucky my speakers are high quality and took the transient.
On 7 Aug 2008 06:07:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

Took me some time to unboggle my mind.
If a computer is in the house - why a ancient piece of technology like a VCR needs to be in the loop somewhere?
I hook up my cheapish laptop to the TV (s-vhs), and play alle the movies, doc's etc I like. I do not bother recording something, torrents / streaming etc is much easier - and no commercials :-)
On another TV in my house I use an old-skool Xbox running multi media SW - which also does it all. Works for music too (thousands of streaming channels, rock to classic)
recording is soo 2007!
..VCR!... [resume boggle mode] :-)
--
- Ren

Ok, a DVD Recorder then. TV and VCR were easier to type.
On 7 Aug 2008 06:07:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

You would think a set of dip switches to set the IP address would work.
I would think 192.168.1.1(1-8) would be a good range. You wouldn't have to know what the numbers meant. Just make sure they are different for each device.
I use 192.168.1.1(1-9)0 for my computers.
metspitzer wrote:

Practically all of the commercial and free TCP/IP software stacks will include a DHCP client. Just plug it in and your hub will assign it an address.
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 13:16:43 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."

I can't do that. I have to open ports on my router for P2P software.
Turning the computers on in the wrong order changes the IP addresses.
metspitzer wrote:

Use uPnP.

Many DHCP servers will allow you to permanently assign an IP address to a given computer. Even dynamic addresses from a pool are sometimes allocated in a sticky way -- i.e. you get the same one you had last time unless it has been given to someone else. That needs some non-volatile storage if it's to work across power cycles though, and is not likely to be found in a simple DHCP implementation in a tiny router.
--
Andrew Gabriel