Telepresence - Big deal?

You should try Apple's Video iChat. I've used it between Austin and Chicago, as well as Austin and San Diego. There was no perceptible lag to the audio at all, and the video frame rate was decent too, with significant artifacts only if somebody started gesticulating wildly. I don't recall noticing any lag to the video either; just the compression artifacts if the scene changed too rapidly.
Best, - Joe
I've just come from Apples iChat web page, but can't find a place to download it. it seems to be part of OSX... but I am not sure. I am on Windows XP myself.
Is it a Mac only solution?
Joe Dunfee
Joe Strout wrote:

It might be. Still, if your alternative is a $1000 custom machine, a $600 Mac Mini with an iSight camera might be just the thing.
Best, - Joe
Joe wrote:

I was less disappointed. I had a wonderful view of Joe. His picture and audio were excellent. I was less aware of the delay on my end. But of course, each to their own.
I think the delay comes not from the net ping time, but from the software trying to synch the lips and the words to come out a the same time.
I have had connections where the turn around times were very long, over 4 seconds, and yes, trying to have an interactive conversation with those delays is ... painful.

I'm not sure these high end units are truly better, but the do do processing in the camera, rather than the system they are attached to. But the unit on the other end of my usual connection has this, and the delays are still noticeable. I used one of those cameras, and I didn't think it did better than my Logitech Lap Top Pro.
Yesterday I also tried to download ViaVideo betaware. It wouldn't run on my computer. Errors out.
-- Randy M. Dumse www.newmicros.com Caution: Objects in mirror are more confused than they appear

Another thought for Joe. The delay may have to do with firewalls and NATs. It could be the delays are caused by having to be address translated, or in getting through the firewalls. Perhaps you could try a tap upstream from the security in your office, and see if the delays were reduced.
-- Randy M. Dumse www.newmicros.com Caution: Objects in mirror are more confused than they appear
Perhaps you could try

My test with you was from my home in PA. I won't be able to test things at the home office until I fly down in another month or two. I will post back here when I get any more results.
Joe Dunfee
Hi,
Telepresence is not the future. It is everyday reality. I am a telecommuter. I' been in this role since 1998. I am living in one place and working at another part of the World. It is very exciting, when you are working on the server on the other site of the Globe. Just imagine - office in Florida, assembly department in Texas, programmers in Russia, server of the company is in California and some tele-operated devices are in Brazil and they send telemetry data to the server. And note - we've never met together off-line. All we are have never seen each other - only telecommuting together.

Yes, you are right. Now I am working on my hobby robotics project: http://www.RoboHobby.com and yes, when you see through the eyes of small robot, which is going somewhere under your table, you see a different World. It is different point of view and things are look strange.
Sometimes I think - why not to put my robot to the City underground. Let him to find some gold for me... :-)
RMDumse wrote:

RoboHobby wrote:

You have a good point. I had forgotten my own history.
Actually, I paid about half a million in attempting telecommuting too early. Back in the early 1990's I went to the Philippines, and set up a PCB design shop. We'd take in layout work during the day in the states, fax and email instructions to the Philippines office, and get a file back by Compuserve. (Or at least that was the idea.) Their work day was our night. We did get some customers, Tandy, Delco and others.
However, at that time the internet hadn't been established yet, so all our transfers had charges associated with them. We sometimes had to dial direct and modem files when the data services were on the blink. And since we were bandwidth limited by our costs and the communications services we could get, it was very difficult to get the ideas of nuances the customers wanted in their layouts. There was too much verbal descriptions of what they wanted, and while one person could take the information and try to transcribe it in email to send, it took about as much time to write it all down as it would have to do the layout. So the savings just weren't there.
As you describe, with the better bandwidths and "free" data transfers, even including Skype for voice calls, and IM Live for videos, it would have been much easier. If I could have gotten the management I needed in the Philippines, probably would have made a ton of money. But I gave up on it in 1994 for not being profitable.
Tell me something. Wages were very low in the PI. Like 1/20th the cost of a US engineer. I'd also thought about Russia. Had connections there too. Has the telecommuting raise the wages and the quality of life for the various folks around the world you deal with?
-- Randy M. Dumse www.newmicros.com Caution: Objects in mirror are more confused than they appear
RoboHobby wrote:

Good idea. I've seen those TV shows where guys go into sewers, and look in the cracks of the joints, and find some flakes and bits of gold. Why not let your robot do it for you? I've been out panning for gold a couple times myself in CO and CA. Never found much.
When I read about Roboguy's underwater ROV in the thread above, I thought of ocean mining. Made me wonder if anyone has used those to "dredge" San Fransisco Bay near where the rivers enter. Seems that's where the placer gold would wind up after millenia of slucing from the gold fields above. I bet there's some small boulders of pure gold wedged in the cracks of the bedrock.
In 2001 I went swimming in a river near Sacramento, with a friend near his property where he had permission to go to, and it was way back in the woods. On the way down the water, along the fire trails, you'd see the occassional old piece of rusting mining equipment. There was the remnants of an old bridge base down stream, but otherwise not sign of human presence where we were. Pretty much your classic ole swimming hole. Suits optional sort of place, cause nobody could see you. Anyway, I happened to look down in a tiny crevasse in the rocks near the bank I was holding on to, and a couple feet under the water, I saw a metalic glint. I reached down to pick it up. It was one of those new 2000 nickels. You know, the ones that aren't worth a dime. ;) Wonder how in the world that got there?
-- Randy M. Dumse www.newmicros.com Caution: Objects in mirror are more confused than they appear