big lots=great deal

i mad a mistake yesterday. the 3 pack of amt/ertl models being sold by the big lots chain were not $15.99 but $12.99. i picked up a set today. it includes a 1960 chevy fleetside custom p.u., a 1972 chevy nova ss and a1962 pontiac catalina custom. also are some non toxic cement and a little paint set. i am not familiar with amt's cars, so i was really surprised when i opened the box and it was really packed with stuff. there are a lot of detail parts, 3 sets of decal plates and really good instructions. for us shoestring budget modelers, this is a real value. it looks like the custom bashing possibilities are limited to imagination. in this day and age, it's a lot of bang for the buck. i'm hoping to scrape up enough to get the ford set of t-bird and 2 others. can't reccomend this moe highly.

If that's the set with the '57 T-bird you may find the older kits aren't as super-detailed as the more recent ones. There's nothing wrong with them but you can expect an axle through the engine block. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

it's the 62 t bird. the chevy truck looks really good. surprising amout of motor details. just need to figure out what wire size is to scale for the spark plugs. they are

1/25, are those familiar to you bill? i'm not a car guy, well not for 30 years anyway, but they look good. need some detailing....

Big Lots also carries sometimes a few 1/18 diecast cars at half or less retail price. Jose.

Reply to
Jose Altube

and some of the big motorcycles that are surprisingly detailed like the wla harley. even has the handlebar rifle case and the rifle. i think a 30 cal. if you took off the sticker decals and did some chroming and repainted some stuff, it could be a good model. the scale is pretty consistent, nothing glaringly off. bit steep for me though.

Oops, I was thinking of the three-cars-in-a-box set from Ertl. The '62 'bird is a relatively recent kit and should have all the detail you found in the others. I don't know squat about pickup trucks. Fellows used to use thread for plug wires. They ran it over some wax first to cut down on the fuzziness. There are sets available now for doing the same job with pre-drilled and plumbed distributors.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Heavens to Betsy, don't use sewing thread. Go to a decent hobby shop and get one of the little packs of wire sold specifically for wiring engines. Looks a thousand times better than sewing thread.

I believe that it's just some kind of wiring used in electronics, repackaged, so you might try an electronics store. A spark plug wire is maybe a quarter inch in diameter, so you'd be looking for something perhaps 0.010" in diameter. Most car modellers use wire about 0.016" or so, which is way too big to be true to scale, but looks "better".

An outfit called Replicas & Miniatures Company of Maryland sells pre-drilled distributor caps in 1/25 scale. They're beautiful little things, and eliminate the most painful part of wiring an engine. They're wonderful and I use a lot of them.

Steve Hilby

e wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

Get some tie wrapping wire from Radio Shack. It comes with a few different insulation colors and the white can be painted to match whatever you need.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

thanks al. there's a real electronic store near. i despise rs. they make wallyworld look honest.

Ron

The only International pickup-like vehicle I've ever seen in 1/25 was the old ERTL International Scout model, which I think was a Sixties version. Doubtless someone, probably Art Anderson, ;^) will have more info. I dunno how much effort would be required to convert that to a pickup, but offhand I'd say you have your work cut out for you...

Steve H

e wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

I remember that kit as being out in the early '70s but I think it's almost as far from a pickup as the kits e is starting with. A little closer but probably made of unobtainium is the International promo that was being produced (or re-produced) back in the late '80s. It was near

1/25th scale, like maybe 1/28 and was closer to a toy.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

i have a zillion picks of my friends, so it will be slightly easier. if i find a good one, i'll post it in the pic group. it really is an outrageous truck.