Disney MPC Pirate Kits

from the Disneyland newsgroup.....
There's a lot of FIVE never-opened MPC Pirates of the Caribbean model
kits available on Ebay. As of 8-12-04, the price is already up to
$535!!! And there's five days to go on the auction, yet! What will the
final price be, anyway? $1000??? More???
Disney should wise up and reissue model kits like these at the time the
second Pirates of the Caribbean movie is released. Does anyone know is
MPC is still around? If not, there must be another model kit company
with the same design capabilities.
I had all the Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion models when I
was a wee one. They were great fun to build and paint, and they were one
of my favorite toys ever. I used glow in the dark paint on all the
skeleton bones. I even created my own "ride" - a crawl thru
blanket-over-tabletops tunnel with the models lining the side.
Unfortunately, my models were in storage in a house that burned down.

Craig
MPC was purchased by ERTL/amt back in the eighties. ERTL decided to stick with one name; amt. They've got the molds; what condition they're in remains to be seen. I've been told they leave them out in the rain when they run out of storage room. I wonder how much it would cost to set up a Davis-Monthan storage place for model molds?
Getting Disney and Racing Chumpions to get their heads together for a re-release would be a brobigdinian task. Corporate ego and too much money... hth
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
Reply to
Keeper
Disney shareholders raised quite a rucus when the movie came out and the kits never surfaced. Even if they had produced new kits they would have sold by the ton.
Even worse was release of Haunted Mansion (also without hunting down the old kits and doing them) after Pirates. That was just plain stupid and helped in removing half of Eisner's positions.
The current thought of many, if not most, shareholders is summed up in a little dity that I came up with last year to the tune of the Mickey ouse Club March: E-I-S-N-E-R, time for him to go.
Tom
Reply to
Maiesm72
I'll drink to that and I'm not even a shareholder.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Mad-Modeller
The stock is actually pretty affordable at about $26. Last year it dipped below $20, but rebounded after Eisner's reduction of titles and removal of Cynthia Harriss as Disneyland and California Adventure head. Many stupid moves by those two hurt the bottom line terribly. The forced retirement of Roy Disney was the last straw. The gutting and closing of several Disney Stores was anoth stupid move.
Stock may go to $30 by next year. Time will tell.
Tom
Reply to
Maiesm72
I bought lots of stuff there. Now its all redesigned to sell plush, movies and t-shirts. Basic, generic, dull stuff that could be bought at a number of other places.
Needless to say that I have not been back after when took away the items for adult collectors.
Craig
Reply to
Craig
The disgusting aspect of the ruining of the stores is what the mismanagent did to the cast members (that's Disneyspeak for employees).
For the first year they comiserated with the guests (Disneyspeak for customers), truely disappointed with what was happening. Earlier this year they were ordered to tell the few remaining loyal guests that the collector's merchandise had been "bringing the store down", an out-and-out lie.
Several long term cast members went on to higher paying, better managed work.
At least the stores still have the occasional pins. :-)
Tom
Reply to
Maiesm72