Thinkgeek R/C Blimp payload

This is a long shot and has probably come up before, but does anyone happen to know how much additional weight can be carried by the remote control blimp (they call it a ufo) on thinkgeek.com? I've been thinking of getting one and trying to fit it with a small camera and radio link...

Here's the link:

Thanks.

Tom

Reply to
Tom McEwan

Never mind, I managed to find the company that makes them - it can carry an extra load of up to 35 grams, if anyone else can use the info. The manufacturer

also make a larger blimp that can take up to

84 grams, and also sell a camera & transmitter light enough for the blimp to carry that transmits colour video signals in ntsc format (pity I live in Europe, so that's useless for me) that can be picked up with a normal tv.

Tom

Reply to
Tom McEwan

Hi Tom,

you still might be able to use this camera. Many television sets can actually display NTSC nowadays, and most TV cards in PCs can do this without problems. I don't know how you wanted to use this signal, but you might want to check whether your TV/TV card can do this?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Baltus

You could get a couple and have then share the weight, or get a few other helium baloons from somewhere and use those for extra lift!

Reply to
Matt Dibb

Didn't I see something about using ordinary bin liners filled with balloon gas for taking aerial pictures?

Just my ,02p

Robin G Hewitt

Reply to
Robin G Hewitt

There is this:

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:jT3iudQFFpUJ:ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pagrosse/ownufo.htm+%22bin+liner%22+air+ship&hl=en Not exactly the same, looks like it could work though. Cheap too. perhaps hook up a small control system? :-) I am tempted!

Reply to
Matt Dibb

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:jT3iudQFFpUJ:ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pagrosse/ownufo.htm+%22bin+liner%22+air+ship&hl=en

Ok just had a thought about these some more - you can buy those things for about 12 quid - they are 8 metres long and I think about 60cm in diameter. With just hot air at about 50c I am estimating you can get about 300-500g of lift. That should be enough for a small little wireless camera and 9v battery and a load of decent kite string!

I might give it a go next weekend. Its a lot safer than my previous attempts at aerial photography which involved pressurising 2 litre coke bottles to 60psi!

Reply to
Matt Dibb

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:jT3iudQFFpUJ:ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pagrosse/ownufo.htm+%22bin+liner%22+air+ship&hl=en

You might want to check the below site for using cheap X-10 cams in rockets and such.

Si Ballenger

If you use Hydrogen Gas instead of Helium , you will roughly double the lift of a balloon. Hydrogen is easy for hobbyists to make using an electrolysis ( Electrolyzer ) set up. Two stainless steel electrodes, in a salt water solution, pass 12 volts at 3 amps and get about a gallon of H2 gas per hour.

It can also be made with Lye and aluminum shavings in water. No electricity needed.

be careful , but be sure to have fun

Tom McEwan wrote:

Reply to
steve vorres

Hmmmmm

A hydrogen atom may be half the weight but don't they tend to hang around in pairs thereby giving much the same lift as helium???

Reply to
Robin G Hewitt

My recollection is that H2 only has about 7% more lift per volume than He. That's why all the dirigibles abandoned H2 after the Hindenburg incident. Which brings up another good point - a balloon of hydrogen gas is not necessarily explosive, but if you have leaks into the atmosphere and it mixes with oxygen in a confined space, well, it's not safe.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Hewitt

I would think an H2 molecule would have about 2 AMU, where He will have about 4 AMU.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

I dont think H2 is really suitable for hobbyist! Please no one setup a H2 production system in their garage! :)

Reply to
Matt Dibb

The last time I did some electrolysis with a salt water solution, I got chlorine (that was pretty obvious to smell). So here you've got the chance to choose between two options of dieing:

  1. Blow yourself up with the hydrogen.
  2. Poisoning with chlorine.

Happy dieing!

Carsten

Reply to
Carsten Schreber

There is a plentiful supply of hydrogen oxide in most homes, helium is somewhat harder to find.

You'd have to be fairly stupid to blow yourself up with hydrogen or poison yourself with chlorine.

Touch wood :o)

Reply to
Robin G Hewitt

Unless there is a hose pipe ban :D

Kids read this group though. Probably best not to give them ideas :-)

Reply to
Matt Dibb