Help on selecting a resistor for a 9-volt battery.

I'm in the military, and I'm trying to build a remote helicopter with a wireless camera on it for use in Iraq. Now, putting the Camera on the
helicopter was easy, but I'm tied to the wall because the camera's receiver isn't wireless, I need it mobile ASAP. We leave for training in Louisiana before we set out for Iraq Aug. 3.
The receiver's output is 8v DC 200 mA... I got the plug in piece for a Nine-volt battery, I've been told by the guys at the Radioshack that I need a resistor to resist one volt, and that it could be easily spliced in, they even knew of a guy who knew all about it... except he quit. I spent nearly $1300 on this project, and don't want to fail becasue I didn't know what kind of resistor to buy. Is there a color code or a serial number for one able to resist one volt? Ohms law isn't helping me one bit, cause I don't understand what it is trying to reach... futhermore, there was no guidebook either there or on the net helping me. I'm trapped in Alaska, so my choices are slim.
1. PLEASE email me the kind of resistor I need, 2. Am I right in thinking all I got to do is splice the resistor inbetween the 9volt plug-in and the receiver? The receiver is sort of similar to these: (at the bottom).
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR HELPING!!!!!!!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?search_constraint=0&search_query=wireless+cameras&Continue.x#&Continue.y &Continue=Find&ic _0
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?search_constraint=0&search_query=wireless+cameras&Continue.x#&Continue.y &Continue=Find&ic _0

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It probably doesn't need it but, stick a couple of 1N4001 diodes in series with the battery. They have to be the same way round and have to be the right way round - if it doesn't work, turn the pair of them round.
Best of luck out there. I think that there is an adage, "You get brave soldiers, You get aged soldiers, but you get very few brave and aged soldiers..."
Personally, if these politicians are so keen on bringing democracy to the rest of the World, someone give them guns and let them get on with it themselves..
--
Sue

On 28 Jul 2006 01:08:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Sue is on the right track with the doide. they will drop about .7 volts. I would start with one. Put the end with the band on it to the minus terminal of the battery.
On 7/28/06 1:08 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,

In these days of terrorism, getting help by posing as military quickly tugs at my heartstrings and I want to help. It is also a period of phishing and home grown terrorists. The original poster (OP) gives no name, no address, no telephone number.
He (or she) asks an almost trivial question that has been answered before I got to read the question. Even if the OP does not have immediate access to someone with the pertinent expertise, explanation to a suitable Government agency or contractor, Northrop Grumman for example, is likely to elicit free advice.
Call me paranoid.
Bill -- Ferme le Bush
Salmon Egg wrote:

Hiya Paranoid...;)
I thought it rather sweet for soldiers to be making their own remotely piloted vehicles to take with them to Iraq. None of this going out on patrol and getting blown up - just fly the toy helicopters down the road and watch the pictures coming back...
I kinda had visions of all the soldiers having their own toy helicopters, tanks, 4x4..it could be a whole new form of warfare..
The British Army would never allow it, of course. But I did wonder if things were a bit less rigid across the pond.
But, OTOH, sticking a diode or two inline to drop a volt or so from a dc supply isn't exactly a state secret.
--
Sue

I am surprised he didn't just try it at the full 9v. That is the American way. He might find it actually performs a little better. FCC part 15 does not apply in Iraq. I would also think about playing with the antenna. Part 15 stuff is usually de-tuned so it will have less radiated power. It usually doesn't take much to "hot rod" it. I know the radio pirates do a lot of this with things like the BA1404 FM transmitter.
On 7/28/06 10:03 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com,

But what is the technical education level of your average terrorist trying to adapt a garage door opener or cell phone trigger?
Bill -- Ferme le Bush
Salmon Egg wrote:

A few years ago every class I took had quite a few nationals from countries that are now regarded as the axis of evil.. None of them actually asked me, "Vere are ze nuclear wessels", but you never know.
IIUC, most of their officers used to be trained at Sandhurst, Dartmouth Naval College, West Point and Annapolis, etc,etc. Dr Germ, of course, got her PhD at East Anglia university..As to flight training...
So your average terrorist could easily know more about adapting garage doors or cell phones than me and presumably you...
All courtesy of UK/US/French/German universities, of course..
--
Sue

On 7/28/06 2:50 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com,

Aside from any possible education terrorists get at these universities, the universities train typical foreigners to compete in high tech against our high tech companies. Moreover, the universities subsidize these education. At U of Cal and fees similar schools, even the out of state/foreign tuition fees do not cover all the costs of the education.
In principle, I have nothing against foreigners as people unless they are trying to kill me. But I also do not wish to turn over our country's specialized knowledge that will help them compete against us. Unfortunately, the number of people seriously trying to kill me literally or economically has greatly increased in the past few years.
Bill -- Ferme le Bush

tugs
free
You wouldn't be quite so ready to accept paranoia if you knew what cameras can be used for and ARE being used for.
You are a lot closer to the truth than you think.
If he's real, the command will likley take it away anyhow. If he's not, they'll have to use them the without a remote.
------------
EVERY offensive weapon has soon had a chap defense

I am ever so glad you will get 5 days training in Louisiana before you go to Iraq.
And I am sure the military will be so pleased that you will be radiating all over their electronics in a war zone.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

This must be your off your first homework assignment for circuits 1. Very entertaining.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Alternatively I could substitute a bomb for the camera ...........
Mark
What everyone is saying could be true... but from my understanding, any heli attack would instantly be knocked out of commisioned with the Stingray tank... if we still have them.
Ya, inititive is allowed in the US army so long as it's not stupid, and I can guarantee the Brits would be allowed to do this too. It's just a remote detection device to be flowen up to a suspected IED in a car on on a vehicle, thats it. I can care less if Bin Laden knows how to do this or build them, his chances of success would have a limited window of opprotunity before we would either just start blasting them out of the air or use counterlasers to blind them. Way more lifes would be saved... and since this is a product is of my brain, it's not top secret... and would be stupid to ever make it so.
This is an out-of pocket expense trying to build a prototype in hopes of my Brigade adopting it. If your really scared of some terrorist group doing this stuff, delete your comments ASAP, I didn't ask how to make one of these, said I already did. I just wanted to know how to keep a nini-volt battery from overcharging a reciever. I hate getting blown up....it really sucks.
If anyone knows how to increases the range of the attenna, please do tell, been looking into that as well, I tried to put a router attenna onto the receiver as well as radio attenna, and the male/female parts did not match in the least. Went to the hardware store and saw some Sardering tools, thinking about melting a hanger and pouring the liguid inbetween..... I got the feeling this is a bad idea. I have really no experiance in this, just had a few ideas, hoping it will work... so far, it has somehow. Hope some of you will start building kits for sale on the net, If this catches on, perhaps you can sell when the Army starts looking for suppliers. Thanks all for your help, and I even appriciate you paranoia, it shows a healthy level of concern. I'll post a link in a year or so here to pictures of it's success if everything goes as plan. Thanks all, I love you.

Leave it to the bomb experts - your homemade device will set off some kinds of triggers.
Cowboys in war zones get people killed.
I can care less if Bin Laden knows how to do

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

use more power in the transmitter
please do

"router antenna" is a meaningless term to me. are you talking about the antenna from a wireless computer router?

an antenna is any length of conductor. and effective antenna is a length of conductor that is cut to resonate at a desired frequency and has a ground plane / counterpoise to work against.
remote control frequencies for model aircraft in the US are mostly sandwiched in-between CB channels. (27 MHz) with some others in the 72 MHz band.
Went to the hardware store and saw some

lol... US military acepting bids from individuals? he he he
Thanks all for your help,

Look, You have a wonderful "idea" But the US has probably the most technologically advanced military in the world.....
Just get your unit authorization to try out some of the gadgets the military is already working on....
What you have "created" is called a UAV or "unmanned aerial vehicle" the military already has these....and theirs I am sure will be a far site better than the toy you are playing with...
I worked in air defense, and we had a systems that would read the pilots name off an airplane 100 miles away.....and that was quite a few years ago.
Check this shit out! http://www.defensereview.com/article718.html
http://www.gdc4s.com/documents/LandWarrior083105.pdf

http://www.defense-update.com/products/t/TACMAV.htm