Update

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. It is very comforting to know that we are not alone in this project. My team is currently
working on the functional decomposition of our motor controller and I will post a draft list of target specifications (including value ranges for each spec.) as soon as we write them up.
Also, I was curious to find out your opinion on a couple topics. 1) How useful would it be for the controller to connect to a PC in order to log data. Is that something you guys would like to see, or would you not use that feature? 2) Brush vs Brushless: I've been doing some research on this and decided to take it straight to you guys. Which do you use most often and what is your specific reason for picking one over the other?
Thanks again.
-James Klein Team Leader/ EE Design Engineer
Generally speaking: Brush Positional servo systems, low RPM, high torque, low inertia. Brushless High RPM, High inertia, velocity servo systems. Mike

Thank you for your response to my post. However, I must admit that I mistakenly posted in the wrong place. If you would like to see the rest of the thread that this message was supposed to appear in, please search for "DC Motor Controller Design Suggestions" within this newsgroup. Thank you.
-James Klein