USB Mouse information

I'm pulling my hair out..... I've search google for days
I have been using a ball PS2/USB mouse as my dual motor encoder. When
connected to the PS/2 port, I can put the mouse in "disable report" mode, and issue a 0xEB to the mouse to get data. It works very well.
I want to get this code to work through the USB port, but no such luck, and can't find the information I need.
Does anyone know if it is possible to deal with a USB mouse in that fashion? I have tried various alterations of "usb_control_message," to no avail.
I can open the mouse, and read encoder packets normally, but without control over "when they are sent," I have no way of knowing "when they were sent," so they are pretty useless to me in a control sense.
I'm pretty sure that if it can be done, it is probably done with usb_control_message sending the right code to the right target with the right location returning the right amount of data, but the number of variables make it a bit difficult to hack.
mlw wrote:

Is this a mouse that works with Linux or *BSD? You should be able to look at the source code for the driver to see the protocol. Or plug it into the USB port on a Linux box, and add some code to the driver to print out each packet sent or received.