Using Mouse as rotation sensors

Hi, all!
I want to use a mouse to have 3 rotation sensor for a robot. No problem to read X and Y axes and the buttons, but I can't read the
"wheel", that I want to use as third sensor (I need 3 rotation sensors...).
I didn't found any description of the protocol of a wheel Mouse (Z-axis).
Can anyone say how can I read this value?
Thanks a lot in advance! Luca Bertoncello ( snipped-for-privacy@lucabert.de)
--

questo articolo e` stato inviato via web dal servizio gratuito
http://www.newsland.it/news segnala gli abusi ad snipped-for-privacy@newsland.it

sensors...).
(Z-axis).
The wheel is actually 3 buttons. One for each direction, plus one for pushing down. It is not like the X-Y encoders.
Anthony Fremont ha scritto:

Ach!
Then I just have to check which "button" is checked?
But it seems not so to work... I get always the first byte as "8"...
What do I do false?
Thanks (and sorry for my english...) Luca Bertoncello ( snipped-for-privacy@lucabert.de)
--

questo articolo e` stato inviato via web dal servizio gratuito
http://www.newsland.it/news segnala gli abusi ad snipped-for-privacy@newsland.it

for
The wheel-mouse protocol (MS Intellimouse) uses a 4 byte packet. Since this is not compatible with the 3 byte ps/2 format, the mouse powers on in ps/2 compatibility mode. In order to detect the wheel and extra buttons, you have to tell the mouse to switch modes. BTW, I was wrong (partly). The wheel can be reported as a Z axis (like the X and Y movements) or as a set of extra buttons. It's your choice. It's all right here:
http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2mouse /
Anthony Fremont ha scritto:

This is not the solution... The fourth byte is always equal to the first...
I can't understand...
Thanks Luca Bertoncello ( snipped-for-privacy@lucabert.de)
--

questo articolo e` stato inviato via web dal servizio gratuito
http://www.newsland.it/news segnala gli abusi ad snipped-for-privacy@newsland.it

Since
on
wrong
all
You need to read the web page completely. You must send the proper commands to the mouse.