vertical movement for robotic arm

I am designing a robotic arm which will be attached to a fixed base. I would like to have the ability for the arm to elevate between 12 to
18 inches. The actuator for this would be mounted on the base, so it would need enough power to lift the entire arm vertically. The arm would be no more than 2 pounds. What is the best type of actuator for this type of application?
You might try setting/mounting the base for your robot on top of an old carjack and run the screwdrive for raising/lowing the jack from a stepper motor. Just a thought...

    --That would work but it wouldn't be real precise; i.e. I think it would wobble. To do it accurately you want the devce to be mounted on two vertical rails. Rails are usually precision ground steel rods, but crs would probably do fine. In industry where you'd want the thing to survive several million cycles the "car" that rides on the rails would have linear bearings, but bronze bushings or even nylon ones would be adequate.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I still miss
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : rock and roll...