looking for a robotic arm that fits this description:

I am interested in a robotic arm (6-7 DOF) that can be both controlled by a computer, and be moved manually (with ease)
I want to be able to take the end of the arm, move it to a position, and I will write software that records the exact path taken by the manual motion, and have a computer repeat it.
Anyone have any robotic arm recommendations that fit this description?
Also, it needs to be able to hold a few pounds (I would assume almost any could do this), and it needs to be fairly large. It would probably need a range of a few feet.
Thanks,
-Nate
Hi
If you want to build your own, then see the books, Build Your Own Humanoid Robots by K Williams; PIC Robotics by J Iovine. I just got these books, and the first one has a really cool robot arm that can be controlled by software ( VB ), and VOICE!, the The second book has a robot arm that can be controlled by a series of toggle switches ( there is also a website by this author that sells a kit of this arm, and there is a programm for free too that I think you will find helpful ). The programs are written in PICBASIC Pro, but I guess you can adapt them if you like to. The first arm looks like a better idea mechanically, but I guess you can get some good ideas.
Have fun.
Cheers
Dale
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; I am interested in a robotic arm (6-7 DOF) that can be both controlled<BR>&gt; by a computer, and be moved manually (with ease)<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I want to be able to take the end of the arm, move it to a position,<BR>&gt; and I will write software that records the exact path taken by the<BR>&gt; manual motion, and have a computer repeat it.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Anyone have any robotic arm recommendations that fit this description?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Also, it needs to be able to hold a few pounds (I would assume almost<BR>&gt; any could do this), and it needs to be fairly large.&nbsp; It would probably<BR>&gt; need a range of a few feet.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thanks,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; -Nate<BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
I would rather not have to build my own, but so far I havn't been able to find one that fits my needs. The best I have found so far is one that lets you physically move it in 3 DOF, while the other 3 DOF remain braked.
    --I'd start looking for something like an old robotic welding arm; it's the only thing that comes to mind with that many degrees of freedom.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Heartily sick of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : "oldies" stations!