What do Roboteers like?

Of course not. It's a web page, not an epiphany. But, hopefully, I can help to inspire them and give them some ideas for where to begin.

Where is a good place to get these?

Reply to
NiceToRoboticists

I usually get my chargers and NiMH batteries at Walmart, the 15-minute

2500mAh ones are now around ~$30 for charger with 4 batteries.

The batteries themselves are usually 8 for ~$18, or 4 for ~$10.

Nice thing about the NiMH are they have a much higher capacity than older kinds and can be recharged perhaps a thousand times. Good long lasting gift. And can be used in flashlights and radios, etc., if their robot doesn't have the specific need.

You might want to solicite others comments on suitability. People tend to judge all things by themselves. These rechargable batteries have made robotics tinkering much more practical, as fas as I'm concerned.

Reply to
Randy M. Dumse

Wonderful idea!

I have seen electronics as a lonesome hobby for many years. Most geeks aren't very social. I have been trying to get a group of roboticists and tinkerers to meet for years, but just can't come up with enough local people with interest.

As for the gifts for a roboticist, I would suggest that the spouse find out what some of the parts are that the roboticist is using and buy an upgraded version for him or her. For example, if spouse finds that roboticist is using a Basic Stamp 2 from parallax.com as the microcontroller for the robot, a good gift idea would be the Propeller products from parallax. See

or
This might be a good gift for someone using the basicx.com products or maybe even the zbasic.com products. A spouse could simply ask the roboticist what the latest and greatest microcontroller on the market is and buy it for him/ her.

As far as tool & test equipment, a proto board with power supplies is useful. Such as

I could go on and on, but the greatest gift a spouse could give is to get involved at the highest level she can stand!

It would be fun to me to assist spouses in finding appropriate gifts for their roboticists. I would welcome your adding a part to your web site where spouses can contact people like me who would give you contact info for the purpose. You should make it a form based situation like I have done at my site

See the contact us tab. The spouse would click the down arrow next to recipient and select roboticist1, roboticist2, etc. Thus no email addresses are exposes on the internet for spammers to capture.

I rarely read this email address, but can be contacted at

Thanks for a great web site idea!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Chapman

Upgrades! What a clever thought. Thank you!

I'm hoping to finish up the Robotocist page this weekend. It's about halfway done now. I'll post a link when it's done so you nice folks can tell me what I left out. :-)

Reply to
NiceToRoboticists

Okay! How did I do? What did I miss? Anything else you'd like to add?

NiceToRoboticists

Well Robotocists,

I'll be moving on soon, but I'll keep an eye out here for a while longer. The military scale model folks have asked to be next, so I'm off to build their page.

The robotocists page is completed and linked into the rest of the site. Thank you very much for all your input. I had tremendous fun talking to you and researching your page. I hope you all receive much spousal support and very fine loot!

Sponsor a Robotocist!

NiceToRoboticists

BTW, if you think of anything you'd like to add, feel free to email me!

- Erika

Reply to
NiceToRoboticists