What would you want in a Tricorder?

Hey, ignore the realist! I think it sounds like good clean fun!
Either for now or later, ideas are; (1) Noise decibel indicator (2) Speech, radio shack has a 10 (or 30?) second recording module for $9.95 which records with one button then plays that back with another button as often as wanted. Small, circuit board, no case, but everything else. Just for like say "Computer on" or "Scanning" or something. (3) Altitude indicator can be more fun than you think. (4) Ultrasonic range detector with laser designator (down to about $20 now for a 1 to 40 foot model). (5) Non-contact distance surface temperature thermometer, unless one of those you mentioned does it, about $80 to $100.
Have fun, HobbyBot
PS I would like to see this thing when finished. snipped-for-privacy@direcway.com
snipped-for-privacy@HobbyHeaven.invalid wrote:

OK, im interested now. do you have any schematics?
Mark Fortune wrote:

I don't have anything yet but a gleam in my eye and 10 years of surplus parts in the garage. I'll keep you updated when I get anywhere. I'm hoping to make some progress this weekend, my wife and kids are headed out of town and leaving me home alone. Geek out!
Robotguy http://robotguy.net
Cool idea:) A couple years ago I spent a year or two making one. A brief description is shown here in case you're interested:
It has been expanded more since then though, and I think the mods deleted the photos too since people weren't looking at them, so maybe they're not there anymore. But since you asked for ideas, maybe the post is useful for you... The last year or two I've been gathering specific parts for a new version. It is pretty fun to work on something like this! But the point was to learn, in this case quite a bit about building so many precision circuits in close proximity. Actually, mainly it's because it's cool to have blinking lights and warbling sounds:)
snipped-for-privacy@HobbyHeaven.invalid wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

<SNIP>
Beautiful. Thank you for posting that. My attention had begun to drift while I waited for parts (a common occurence on my projects), but seeing yours, and hearing that you actually USED it, inspires me.
Robotguy http://robotguy.net