What would you want in a Tricorder?

Just for kicks, I am building a handheld tricorder-like device and am

>looking for ideas for functionality. I would like it to actually be

->useable and preferably practical. Here's what I have so far...

-ATMega8 controller @14.7456MHz >-24FC515 64k X 8 EEPROM for data logging >-Serial connection for data downloading >-12 char X 2 line LCD >-IR LED >-40kHz IR Receiver (to read and duplicate ir remote signals) >-White LED (for stroboscope output) >-UV and RGB LED (to measure reflectance, color, etc) >-Small solar cell (measure light level, listen to modulated light) >-CDS cell (light level measurement) >-40kHz utrasonic receiver and heterodyne circuit to reduce to audible >frequencies >-Speaker and amp >-HM55 compass (from Parallax) >-ADXL202 dual axis accelerometer >-Allegro 3515 linear hall effect sensor (magnetic field measurement) >-LM35 Temperature Sensor >-DS1822 Temperature Sensor >-HDK Humidity Sensor >-MAX1302 - 8 channel, 16 bit ADC >-MAX 525 - 4 channel 12 bit DAC (possible ARB output) >-MAX1305 Real time clock with 2 alarms and battery backup >-BNC connector for signal capture and output >-EMF detector (still looking for a decent circuit) >-2.4 GHz RF tranceiver (sparkfun.com) >Possibilities for a future (more expensive) version: >-"Poor-man's spectrum analyzer", made from a tv tuner. >-Optical spectrum analyzer with a prism and a linear CCD >-CF interface for data storage >-Cellular (Sparkfun.com) >-Wifi (from CF interface) >-Bluetooth >-GPS (Sparkfun.com) >-Color graphic LCD (maybe OLED from Sparkfun.com (They sure carry a lot >of cool stuff)) >So, what did I miss? >Robotguy

Hey, ignore the realist! I think it sounds like good clean fun!

Either for now or later, ideas are; (1) Noise decibel indicator (2) Speech, radio shack has a 10 (or 30?) second recording module for $9.95 which records with one button then plays that back with another button as often as wanted. Small, circuit board, no case, but everything else. Just for like say "Computer on" or "Scanning" or something. (3) Altitude indicator can be more fun than you think. (4) Ultrasonic range detector with laser designator (down to about $20 now for a 1 to 40 foot model). (5) Non-contact distance surface temperature thermometer, unless one of those you mentioned does it, about $80 to $100.

Have fun, HobbyBot

PS I would like to see this thing when finished. snipped-for-privacy@direcway.com

Reply to
<HobbyBot

I don't have anything yet but a gleam in my eye and 10 years of surplus parts in the garage. I'll keep you updated when I get anywhere. I'm hoping to make some progress this weekend, my wife and kids are headed out of town and leaving me home alone. Geek out!

Robotguy

robotguy

OK, im interested now. do you have any schematics?

Reply to
Mark Fortune

Cool idea:) A couple years ago I spent a year or two making one. A brief description is shown here in case you're interested:

It has been expanded more since then though, and I think the mods deleted the photos too since people weren't looking at them, so maybe they're not there anymore. But since you asked for ideas, maybe the post is useful for you... The last year or two I've been gathering specific parts for a new version. It is pretty fun to work on something like this! But the point was to learn, in this case quite a bit about building so many precision circuits in close proximity. Actually, mainly it's because it's cool to have blinking lights and warbling sounds:)

snipped-for-privacy@HobbyHeaven.> >Just for kicks, I am building a handheld tricorder-like device and am

Reply to
pjc309430

Beautiful. Thank you for posting that. My attention had begun to drift while I waited for parts (a common occurence on my projects), but seeing yours, and hearing that you actually USED it, inspires me.

Robotguy

robotguy