Wheelchair conversion

Well, as a basis for my telepresence robot project I bought a wheelchair on eBay. Got a used Jet 2 from www.pridemobility.com for
less than $200. Looks to be in good condition, but not functional. Probably battery needs replacement is my first guess. Currently stuck trying to get chair off so I can get at the lower unit.
I've seen lots of wheelchair motors used in battle bots, but wondering if there isn't quite a bit more available in there "as-is". Anybody have experience in conversion of wheel chairs to robot bases?
-- Randy M. Dumse www.newmicros.com Caution: Objects in mirror are more confused than they appear