Wireless Communication

Hi all,
I am in the process of creating a small PIC based robot for a school project. I wish to be able to steer the robot wirelessly from my
computer using an RS 232 port. I have all the necessary knowledge for outputting serial data using VB.NET however i need help choosing the hardware to transmit the data along with information as to how to receive the data into the PIC chip. I'd also like to add the fact that i have a very limited budget.
Thanks in advance.

Look at Digikey or Mouser. They have a bunch of little wirelss modem boards. You could also buy a pair of bluetooth RS232 trancievers to create a wireless virtual RS232 link.. -howy
jimmy wrote:

An Infrared transmitter and reciever is easy and extremely cheap to implement on a PIC, from what I've read. I'm just starting to learn about the stuff myself. On the PIC side, all you may need is an IR detector device which will recognize the typical 38 khz IR signal. Here is a link to Parallax's version. They also have application notes. http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id50-00014
On the PC Side, I've seen devices to put IR transmitters onto your computer, but many laptops or PDA's have them already.
I don't think they would be complicated, but I don't know what is involved in making a transmitter from scratch for a PC.
Joe Dunfee
jimmy wrote:

SparkFun has a bunch of things that do this. http://www.sparkfun.com/
Or check under ZigBee/XBee.