clueless

Hi - I now have a PIC16F84A microchip and wish to get started using serial port connection - I am clueless however when it comes to wiring this up. I would initially simply like to get some LED's up and flashing and maybe learn how to receive data back from the PIC to the serial port. I have the

88 page Data sheet for this model and I have 2 PIC books by R.A Penfold - but nowhere can I see how to do a simple task such as led flash etc. Can anyone help out here? - I always need help with beginning new ventures and would appreciate a lift - cheers

James Jenkins

Reply to
Tamar Solutions

First, you're going to need a programmer. I built Michael Covington's No Parts Pic Programmer

it worked fine for me. (However I do want to buy or build a better one--any suggestions for less than $100Cdn?)

You'll need software to operate the programmer. You can get the software that works iwth NoPPP from the website.

You'll need a test circuit to use your chip in. This one looks good:

He's got software for you, too. You'll have to read his instructions on how to use it.

If you're interested, here's the program I wrote for my test circuit:

I had never done any of this before, and I got it all to work with just information from the internet. Be persistent and I'm confident you'll make it happen.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Thanks for the info - can I use the MPLAB from microchip?

Reply to
Tamar Solutions

Hi again - in fact can I simply use C++ compiler (with Asm) and simply use the port i/o address this way?

Reply to
Tamar Solutions

I don't know how much money you want to spend. But I think my setup is great for easily learning and implementing a serial port connection.

As mentioned before, a PIC programmer - I use the USB programmer from Olimex

One of the serial port development boards from Olimex
These come with a more capable PIC chip like the

16F873A or 16F877A and built-in RS232 level shifters. A C compiler - I use the CCS C Compiler.

Both the programmer and C compiler integrate with Microchip's free MPLAB development environment

I was amazed at how simple it was to implement a serial port app with the CCS C compiler after having used assembly for awhile.

BRW

Reply to
Bennet Williams

James,

If you are comfortable with C, get the book "Programming Robot Controllers" by Myke Predko. He shows how to make a simple programmer that costs about $17. He then shows how to do many simple and not so simple things with a PIC such as flashing an LED, creating a PWM signal and using an LCD. Al the software used is free, however you will need to get either a PIC 16F84 (not A) or a 16F627. BTW Microchip will give you up to three sample chips per quarter just for asking.

Tamar Soluti> Hi - I now have a PIC16F84A microchip and wish to get started using serial

Reply to
Catman

I used MPLAB to develop my program. It produced the output I needed for the input to the NoPPP programmer software.

the port i/o address this way?

The asm has to be the same language as your PIC can understand, and your C++ compiler has to be able to produce the machine code your PIC can understand. You can't just use any old C++ compiler and expect it to work. Sorry, I haven't done this myself, so I'll step aside and let the others with the pertinent facts fill in the blanks. As another poster says, a C compiler like CCS can work.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence