Airstarting in a near vacuum

What's the best way to airstart a motor in a near vacuum? My initial guess is to keep the engine nozzle capped (and pressurized) until it hits something like 100psi (when the cap bursts). Are there any other methods which make ignition in a near vacuum reliable?

Thanks in advance! Dave

Reply to
David Harper

That's the one.

Maybe more than 100psi.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

to keep the engine nozzle capped (and pressurized) until it hits something like

100psi (when the cap bursts). Are there any other methods which make ignition in a near vacuum reliable?

If that's all it'll take then my one project now has one less annoying detail to overcome.

Chuck

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

Tech Jerry!

Phenolic plate pre-scored in a radial 4+ position pattern and hydrostatic pressure tested to 300psi.

Pardon the tech post!!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

detail to overcome.

pressure tested to 300psi.

I won't tell if you won't :-) Especially since it'll be some time after getting level 3 before it becomes relevent. Thanks non the less.

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

Don't waste much effort on burst disks. Just use a good size copper-thermite igniter.

-Jeff Taylor

David Harper wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Taylor