Apogee Recording Altimeter

I'm interested in buying a new altimeter and noticed thge Apogee unit records for up to 5 minutes. ANyone have used one out there ?

Dave Ketchledge

Reply to
RocketEngineer

No, but I have used the Alt15K/WD logging altimeter (no deployment)works great.

See also

Yes it's the same altimeter

BW

Reply to
Brian White

Hi Dave, Apogee is just a reseller of the PerfectFlite 15K altimeter.

BTW, they work great

Reply to
Cranny Dane

Dave, I launched one in my LOC Weasel clone on H73, Saturday ... the altimeter read 3115'. my rocksim says 3135'. I'd say that's close enough! now I have a calibrated rocksim and I am going to for exactly a mile.

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

The best recording altimeters, judging from the data, are from Adept. The data are filtered well enough that one can derive velocity and acceleration from them - also thrust and Cd curves with a little extra work in vertical flights. That's a lot better than the data from other altimeters I've seen. Not actually familiar with the PerfectFlite.

Regards

-Larry Curcio

Reply to
Larry Curcio

Is 5345' close enough to a mile? I can tell you how I did it very simply.

Reply to
nitram578

tell us!

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

if you really want velocity, accelleration, jerk, buy an altimeter with an accellerometer.

my PerfectFlites work great but they are barometric only.

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

accellerometer.

That was a little uncivil, don't you think?

accellerometer.

Steve Humphrey

accellerometer.

I think someone owes me a new keyboard.

You learn something new everyday.

-Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

an accellerometer.

'twas well done, indeed.

Bravo!

Reply to
Tweak

Why??

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

accellerometer.

oh my goodness!!! I sure didn't mean it like that! I was not being uncivil, the wikipedia entry for jerk is what I meant - 2nd derivative of velocity. it made sense when I typed it late at night.

very sorry nad I hope everyone gets a laugh out of this.

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

Who's a 'nad' ??? ;-)

RDH8

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Yeah, first he calls someone a jerk, now this!

Who does he think he is? ;-)

I assume, by Jerk, you mean the third derivative of altitude :-)

Adept altimeter data are good enough to be double differentiated by Savitsky-Golay filters to give acceleration curves. They have the opposite problem that accelerometers have. They measure only in the vertical dimension To the extent that the trajectory is vertical, the acceleration is righteous.

Had thought I'd made a breakthrough with this double differentiation, but evidently the Adept software does it too.

BTW, I have traditionally been so far in the accelerometer camp that, as far as I know, Tommy dislikes me. We have no connection whatever.

-Larry (Deriving the jerk could be stretching it) C.

Reply to
Larry Curcio