Building an Electronics Bay from scratch, where to buy electronics

Has anyone seen a good website that has tips on building an electrinics bay from scratch? I am looking to build a 3" and a 4" electronics bay (two seperate rockets) that will house one or two altimiters for dual deployment.

Also,

At some launches I have seen a little door "for lack of a beter term" that is held on by four screws to the side of the airframe. What do you attach the screws to? Are there special brackets you can buy thatwill follow the curvature of the body tube inside? I would rather make from scratch than buy the bay complete.

Also, where is the best place to buy electronics?

Reply to
Charles Sinclair

Use a section of coupler.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I really never did a photo sequence of the construction of the bay but between these projects you may be able to piece it together.

Eric F. Virginia Beach VA

Reply to
E.F.

I simply use a piece of coupler glued to the inside with tee nuts glued to that. This link shows a hatch in my L3 rocket, scroll down to Electronics Bay:

I also put one on my Terrier details here:
The Terrier design was overkill.

I much prefer the hinge down one side with two screws.

RDH8

Reply to
RDH8

I see you ground the tee nuts down in one ebay. I have always just installed them backward, so the long part is sticking in. Gives more threads, but induces a hazard inside the bay. I had one catch on a PCI extender cable cutting several lines causing the video capture card to fail, DOH.

Reply to
RDH8

Some pics:

Bruce Kirchner

I've used the type of switch shown in Bruce's photos for several years. It might even be the same switch. The switch has taken a beating and keeps going. I purchased several from Newark Electronics. All were keyed the same, providing many spares.

The switch I use is manufactured by Grayhill, part number 03S501, purchased from

Dean

RDH8

I've found in the end, it's just as cheap to buy a LOC 3" or 4" ebay when it's all said and done. Plus, you can build them in 20mins or a few hours depending on your epoxy.

Reply to
AlMax

You can get both the ebays and the altimeters from:

my site for rocket electronics

or my new site for kits and parts

I make my hatches by carefully cutting the body tube into the square you see. I then mount plywood (or balsa) spars on the inside two edges lengthwise with nuts glues into them.

The hatches then has screw holes that match the screws underneath on the plywood spars.

Curving the plywood was not necessary at all. just mount the plywood on the lengthwise edge.

Works great, I mount airstart timers in those hatches by the fin can section.

Art Upton

ArtU

Reply to
RDH8

I'm not sure what you are trying to say ?

details of cutting and making a hatch ?

Pictures are better then my words I bet.

I posted pictures of the hatch on alt.binaries.models.rockets

PS, email me your real email address to

artupton at yahoo removethisword dot com

I want to talk about a small product you are working on.

Art Upton

Artu

The hatch door design is OK but I prefer to keep it simple. I like to design bays using 38mm or 54mm motor mount tube. A section of motor mount tube in the air frame preferably at the bulkhead where the drogue deployment occurs. Then use the appropriate sized coupler tube to hold the electronics. Use a couple sections of 4-40 all thread rod to hold the appropriate bulkheads to the coupler tube/electronics bay and presto. A modular design that can be used in multiple rockets.

Reply to
James Dean Cory