capacitive discharge ignition systems

Just looked at some files and heard this mentioned. has anyone tried using it? might help with the current loads on clusters

Reply to
tater schuld

Tater,

I've worked with capacitor discharge systems during the 70's and the only problem you are likely to run into is with the relay contacts between the capacitors and the ignitors. Capacitive discharge systems can dump an extremely high current into a low resistance circuit for tens of milliseconds. The relay used to control the circuit can suffer contact burning or welding depending on the amount of the current dump and it's duration. I'd suggest creating a single pad controler and testing your circuit design/components for durability before making a large investment.

Ken Holloway

Reply to
Ken Holloway

A car battery can dump all the amps you need for clusters. I would worry about the current path. Use heavy gauge wire through out. I used 8-2 sjo. A car starter solenoid can handle allot of amps but has a very low ohm coil. You may need a relay to engage the solenoid. Every connection or plug is a possible current loss. Solder connections or use Mechanical compression. Use a good ohm meter to select igniters that are all close in ohms. Gary Deaver

Reply to
Deaver

There is an example of how to build your own high amp launcher at this website.

Greg D. Rocketflite/Magnelite

Reply to
Rocketflt