Cesaroni Pro38 and Dual Deploy

Hello All, Is there an issue with using the Pro38 motor without the delay or black powder? I'll be using electronics for the deployment.

Peter

Reply to
peter.t.ekstrom

Shouldn't be, lots of people fly this way. Remove the paper cap, pour out the BP, and plug the BP well, Blu-Tack is the preferred material over here from what I've seen.

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Use the motor-ejection charge as your backup. Set the delay a couple of seconds longer than your expected time-to-apogee, and the motor will pop your chute if the electronics fail.

Reply to
Len Lekx

If you don't want the motor ejection, remove the BP. But in case it wasn't clear, don't fly the motor without the delay element. It's a necessary part of the gas seal of the motor and flying without it would be bad.

-- Erik Ebert, L3 TRA #09105 NAR #79868

Reply to
eebert

Or omit the BP and put a dab of epoxy on the hole.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Can't use the motor's charge as there is a bulkplate ahead of the motor tube.

Reply to
peter.t.ekstrom

There is a UK rocketry legend relating to this.... ;)

Also, don't forget the casing - it has been done, on more than one occasion!

Reply to
Niall Oswald

It's not a legend.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

YES!!!

It's ok to remove the black powder but DO NOT leave the delay out (unless you just want to cook your rocket & probably ruin the casing.

Reply to
Phil Stein

It's all outlined in the instructions (please read) and is certified. Epoxy is not required.

Anthony J. Cesaroni President/CEO Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace

887-2370 x222 Toronto (410) 571-8292 Annapolis

Reply to
Anthony Cesaroni

Occasionally in Texas and once in Alberta IIRC. Those instructions in the reload kit and the one on the case again please.

Anthony J. Cesaroni President/CEO Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace

887-2370 x222 Toronto (410) 571-8292 Annapolis

Reply to
Anthony Cesaroni

FINALLY! Something good. Ok you two, come across... what's the legend. : )

Randy

<randyolb

But is an uncertified field mod :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Everything true and entertaining is secret.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Several years ago, a guy in a group over here called AspireSpace claimed he knew how to load Aerotech 54mm motors for a student rocketry championship. He didn't. He left out the delay grain, because he thought it wasn't needed. The rest is history :-)

Much to everyone's amazement, he got a PhD a few years later (in materials science mind you). Not suprisingly, he got nicknamed Dr Delay Grain.

Note: I was once in AspireSpace before I went over to the dark side and joined MARS, but I had left when this event occurred, honest :-)

All the best,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Osborne

You need to install the delay element itself, to complete the forward pressure seal of the motor, but if you don't want the ejection charge fired by the motor, it is possible to peel up the cap and remove the powder.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

snip

Gotta love it! : )

Randy

<randyolb

No it's not but I suppose adding the epoxy could be interpreted as such. :-)

Anthony J. Cesaroni President/CEO Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace

887-2370 x222 Toronto (410) 571-8292 Annapolis

Reply to
Anthony Cesaroni

You mean I have to read the instructions !?!?!?

What kind of hobby is this????

:) Found it right where it should have been, Thanks a bunch!!! Peter

Reply to
peter.t.ekstrom

It wasn't just the fact that it happened, it was the swaggering "I, the rocketry guru, who knows all, shall teach you, the rocketry newbie..."

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn