Cheapskate Rocket motors

What is the oxidizer in candy Caramel? And it sustains it's own combustion without atmospheric oxygen?

I'm not talking about 'rocket-propellant-caramel' which is similar to edible caramel with oxidizer added. You said

"Candy (the stuff you eat) would qualify as a pyrotechnic under that law just as this "propellant" (if you can really call this stuff propellant).

So if you go after candy "motors" you might miss and kill a HUGE industry as candy contains an oxidizer and a fuel.

Try lighting some sometime"

Peanuts and many candies burn great in the air or when mixed with an oxidizer. They are NOT 'solid propellant' which contains fuel and oxidizer.

Perhaps you were playing a word-game with 'propellant' by using that word instead of 'fuel'.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Illegal aliens are actually GOOD for the economy.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Less efficient is not the point. The law defines a pyrotechnic as containing an oxidizer and a fuel. Ever notice how many food and industrial products are pyro under those terms?

Jerry

Bad law is commmon law.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I think Jerry may be confusing the fact that sucrose contains oxygen. That doesn't make it an oxidizer. Caramel is partially-pyrolized carbohydrate, so it's the sugar dimer, with some of the H and O driven off as water.

When amateur propellant makers talk about "rocket candy", they're generally talking about a KNO3+{Sucrose,Dextrose,Sorbitol} propellant made by melt processing, in a ratio near 60:40 KNO3:Sugar. Definitely not edible, and mildly toxic.

I would assume that the guy doing the "Cheapskate" motors has the necessary manufacturing licenses in the PRK, since that's where he's located.

Reply to
Marcus Leech

I don't suppose that you've ever been involved in a car accident with one then? I have, and it wasn't good for the economy as far as I'm concerned.

Mike Fisher

Reply to
Mfreptiles

nasty bugs that

Florida has just as big an agriculture industry. It doesn't have Customs at the border. (Not talking Maxico here.)

Tom

Reply to
Tom Binford

California has a far bigger IMPORT business and is also the main PORT for goods heading south and east from USA.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I believe that this means Sensodyne toothpaste is legally a pyrotechnic.

Ad Astra! Bill Sullivan

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

You may very well be right.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I wonder if they ship it an an explosive :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I think it would fall under the exemption for binary mixtures that aren't explosive until combined by the end user.

(Will purchasers of that brand now need an LEMP in order to brush their teeth with it?)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Well, you want to stop when entering Florida to get the free orange juice. (Do they still do that?) I have not driven into California. I've flown in a few times, and I did drive to Seatle Washington once (NARAM 14).

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Again, it's a PRK vs the other 49 states deal here...

Bob Kaplow

What ever happened to "Don't ask, don't tell"?

Bob Kaplow

Yep, free samples of orange juice...at least at the Welcome Center on U.S

231 south of Dothan, AL. Served with a smile and a pleasant "Welcome to Florida".

John

Reply to
John Stein

yepper

been stopped plenty of times at the checkpoint between escondido and temecla(pardon spelling) the last time they said the dog is positively attracked to your truck i told the officer Sounds like a personal problem to me!! they searched my truck (Dident find anything) then let me on my way i left rather hotly banging 2nd and 3rd of course if i did that now would most likely go to jail glad i live in TX

SM

Reply to
Mccrock1750

I looked at it and it allows a complete novice to fire a large model rocket with "G" power without a club and without the extra power of motor certification. I did not see it allowing a novice to fire an "H" motor.

Reply to
AlMax714

Like Rock Hudson or Ronald Reagan?

Bob Kaplow

I remember the last time NARAM was in Florida: NARAM-24 The OJ SUCKED. They must ship all the good stuff out of state.

Bob Kaplow

Went through Canada on the way back from NARAM-43. The only thing I recall the mounties asking was if we had any guns. [No] On the way back north of Detroit, the US wanted to know what we bought. [Nothing other than the food we ate].

I've been harassed MUCH more in airports and government buildings, even before 9/11.

Bob Kaplow