Digital Compass Module with Dead Reckoning Technology

OK all you electronic gadget makers out there, this has to be of some use in a rocket...

From the press release: Distinct features of this new compass module product include: ? Azimuth angle, true or magnetic ? Pitch and roll (tilt) angle ? 1 degree accuracy ? Built-in magnetic compensation functions and ? Small footprint, low power, light weight.

I no longer have any affiliation with Honeywell, but the specs look like this would be a cool thing to have. No idea if the price is within reason or not.

Norman

Reply to
NormanHeyen

The pitch and roll angles, as well as absolute azimuth angle are all dependent on the unit not accelerating with respect to the earth. As soon as this unit is launched in a rocket the only angle you can unambiguously measure is the angle off of the local magnetic field. This has its uses but, can be accomplished with a much simpler sensor....

The multi-axis accelerometer and magnetometer can give interesting data, but are incapable of absolute angle measurement in a flying rocket.

- Robert Galejs

NormanHeyen wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galejs

I've seen what you've done in the past and was hoping there would be something to this. Oh well, it was an interesting thought. I wonder if this needs to be tied to a reference, like a gyro? And what the purpose of it is if so. I think laser ring gyros are still pricey...

Norman

Reply to
NormanHeyen