E9-0 worked

Hi,

At the risk of being chastised royally, I went ahead and used a twist drill to remove the plug, by hand turning it, in an E9-P to make it an E9-0. Yeah, yeah I know all the bullcrap and chastize me stuff. Anyhow, I have a Quest Zenith II. I made a 1st stage that can handle a D or an E. Shot it off with a D and had an awesome flight I was able to catch with my eyes staging to the C6-7 in the sustainer. Suffice it to say I use 2mil silverized mylar streamers reinforced with clear strapping tape along the edges. I highly recommend this stuff as it "rattles" and makes a loud noise on the way down. You can sometimes hear it before you see it and your ears can get a fix on where the model is going. Well shot it off with the "E9-0" and C6-7 combo and the sims say close to 2700' with 0-2 mph wind and 0 degrees. Saw it go up and didn't see it stage. I only heard it stage to the C6-7. Blasted it towards the south. I then stood there and heard the ejection but not the streamer yet. Took forever but my ears finally heard the rattling of the streamer. I did one heck of a scan but didn't pick it up until it was way to the north of me. Had good steamer deployment. Looked to the left and saw that my son was picking up the 1st stage that landed on the field as I was starting to hike out to the north. I never did see the

1st stage come down. Model landed in the cornfield and the beeper brought her back to me in good shape. I don't know why they don't make an E9-0. Some folks says it doesn't make enough thrust but for the 130 gram empty weight model like my bashed Zenith II it does work. Only issue is I bet people would lose alot of models but that is their right to do so if they are stupid as much as I am!

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

great kurt..you'll get No chastisement from me as I assume you were on KURT time and not NAR time...

The reason they don't make a E9-0 is because most consumer rocketry dads/sons are totally clueless and would do something stupid...like use an E9-0 on a windy day with a heavy rocket..sorta like the old FSI D18 that actually were D5.... or the A10 which is actually an A2.....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Aye, Aye,

It was on my time with no one around and wouldn't even consider going to a public launch unless using a D12-0. Still it was pretty neat. The thing was too high to see the staging and I was just plain lucky to get both stages back.:) I did lose my Nova payloader that I rebuilt with an RMS 18 motor in it. Got a good steamer deployment but it landed in a cornfield. The beeper failed! I did find the remnants of an Estes Eliminator I launched up in the spring on an E9-6. Lost sight of it completely and stumbled into it in the cornfield looking for my RMS. Wasn't in any shape to fly after being water logged but I got the nylon chute back.

Kurt Savegnago

shockwaveriderz wrote:

Reply to
Kurt

Cool flight report, glad it worked well for you.

All-in-all, though, I think the E9 thrust profile performs better as a sustainer stage, rather than a booster. In other words, A D12-0 to E9-8 combo would work better than a E9-0 to D12-7.

Now, a D12-0 to E9-0 to E9-8, that would be something cool to try....

Reply to
Vince