Mylar

Anyone have a source for thin mylar sheets?
Koen

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:01:39 GMT, "Koen O. Loeven"

www.McMaster.com
Koen O. Loeven wrote:

http://www.asp-rocketry.com /
--
Steve Humphrey
(replace "spambait" with "merlinus" to respond directly to me)

The "space blanket" stuff comes in many different versions. All of them are heavier than the mylar normally used for competition parachutes. Competition chutes are normally quarter mil mylar.
The "real" "original" space blanket stuff (orange on one side, silver on the other made in USA http://www.mpioutdoors.com/product.htm second photo down) is half mil, but quite suitable for events like Dual Eggloft Duration flown at this years NARAM, and for larger scale and sport models. Lately the only place I've seen it is REI.
The same weight material is also available in party stores in smaller 18x30" sheets in a wide assortment of colors. You can make an 18" and 12" chute from each sheet, and they go for about 50 cents per cheet. Launch Pad uses this for their chutes.
The silver only stuff sold in most of the discount stores varies widly in strength and weight. Some is Mylar, most is some other material that is not as strong. None of it is really suitable for competition parachutes, but is usable for sport models.
So where do you get the "real" quarter inch mylar?
-- David
writes:

ya, ya, I meant quarter mil. Quarter inch would be somethin!
-- David
writes:

The only stuff I bought recently was from ASP. I've got plenty, but used up my supply of the BIG pieces that I use to thermal away ELD models. Looks like I get another chance to do so at NARAM-48 next summer :-)

How much do you want? I got a bunch from Alan Jones, who still has a lifetime supply.
Koen O. Loeven wrote:

Type 2mil mylar or 2mil silverized mylar and get a lifetime roll supply for about $30.00. It is usually available at a hydroponics supply company. I think the pot growers line their growing rooms to reflect light from their growlights to the pot plants. If you are using it for streamers, take some clear packing tape and re-inforce the side edges of the the streamer both sides. This aids in survival of the streamer in case of a high velocity deployment. Have had streamers break if I didn't run a simulation on a flight and the streamer deployed at high speed. The clear tape helps. I tried to find color stuff in bulk but could only get gold or silver. The suppliers of colored rolls would only sell to bona fide dealers. I am talking about bulk sales here. You can buy whatever you want from rocketry suppliers at a premium markup. I find the silver easy to see flashing and it "rattles" loudly on the way down. I sometimes hear the model before I see it and my ears makes it easier to direct my eyes to the model.
Kurt Savegnago