mylar source

a while back someone posted a good source for thin mylar for use in release material for paper tube glassing/composite layups. please repost links thanks.

Koen

Reply to
Koen O. Loeven

This link has several selections - Mylar and Teflon - I've only used the perforated Teflon with breather fabric and shrink tape in a glassing oven. I've never been able to produce a tube with that method without creating wrinkles in the glass, I presume caused by the wrap grabbing the glass cloth as the whole wrap shrinks. Now I just use the perforated heat shrink tape alone and get great results on BT-20 up through 3". If you have a better method - I'd like to hear

Tom F

Reply to
fetchen

i use your method, but i want a way to release the composite from the paper/phenolic tube and can't seem to get the special spray discussed on the composite tapes I bought.

Koen

Reply to
Koen O. Loeven

I use 2mil Mylar over the mandrel. I get it from TAP Plastics. Just tape it to the mandrel in one little spot. Otherwise is hard to get off. I then use peel ply over that and seems to work pretty good. There is a bit of a build tread of a 54mm min dia with some photos on it at..

Tony