[F-FT] Event question

I spent a good amount of time today explaining to my students why they were not allowed to launch the modrocs they had just built in the parks around here (Aurora, CO., Park and FAA restrictions).

They talked it over amongst themselves for bit and I heard a couple comments about cops, etc. and it got me thinking.

Anyone have any expeience hosting a launch FOR a police or fire dept? Maybe just a "Thank you." type thing or a "Meet the Community" event?

The more I think about it, the more interesting it becomes. I wonder if it might not be an interesting "mix" for the local media. A couple photos in the paper of firemen or officers actually involved in a launch could go a long way.

My concern:

The idea initially popped into my head during a "self-serving" thought process, and I fully admit it. However, I do have a lot of respect for the police and fire personnel and would participate in any such an event in earnest.

But I wouldn't want an actual event to come off being construed as, "some self-serving attempt by rocketry to....."

I'm certain others have done this before. Any comments or concerns?

Reply to
Gary

Yes.

Yea, team!

It works.

JERRY

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I've never done it either but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Some thoughts-

Maybe make a 'theme rocket' like OCC does with their choppers. Obviously not as high profile as a show on DC but some should appreciate the effort.

If you are using MODROCs, you should fall under the FAA notification rules which do not require any approval (ie a waiver)

I think a lot of kids & adults will enjoy an event like this. You should have a club flyer available for those interested. Maybe a local hobby shop or store would sponser the flyer to get some advertising on it.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Thanks for the input, Phil.

Maybe a fly-off type competition between a PD and FD. (Some mentoring beforehand could REALLY get our message across.) Some raffles and donations to fraternities. Stuff like that.

Just looking for things to propose to my section club right now.

Reply to
Gary

If you do the competition, pull their kids in. The kids will hook the parents. That's how a lot of people get back into it (including me.) If you can swing a demo of something as simple as a Arreaux on a G80 or maybe something similar in the F range (and be able to find it) that would help too.

Reply to
Phil Stein