Got my Level 1 today

Got a chance to fly for Level 1 cert today. It was partly cloudy and kind
of breezy, not a real great day for flying. I had already lost one rocket,
so my
confidence was a little lacking.
I would be flying my 4" upscale Estes Der Red Max on an H-180 for the
attempt. After getting
some help on the motor assembly, I put in the wadding and packed the chute.
The flight was awesome despite some weathercocking. The postflight
inspection revealed a
1" x 2" chunk of paint got knocked off the nosecone, but no damage.
Despite losing one of my rockets to CORN, I considered the a great day a
success!
Joe Michel
NAR# 82797 L1
Reply to
J.A. Michel
congrats!
What a coincidence...I did my level 1 flight on my 4" Red Max too. IIRC, I used a 38mm H reload, but that was almost 10 years ago and I'm not sure which one it was...maybe an H-123W.
tim
Reply to
tim
Right on, Joe!
Let's see a picture of that rocket-
-Bruce
Reply to
Bruce OBrien
No Problem!

Joe Michel NAR# 82797 L1
Reply to
J.A. Michel
Congratulations Jon. Great feeling isn't it?
"J.A. Michel" wrote:
Reply to
Mark Simpson
I love the photo of the stack of bricks on your curing glassed fin. I use a 1/2" thick chunk of steel boilerplate myself.
Mark Simpson
Pretty high-tech, huh? hehe :-)
Joe Michel NAR# 82797 L1
Reply to
J.A. Michel
Fight and recovery pics are on ABMR.
Joe Michel NAR# 82797 L1
Reply to
J.A. Michel
Congratulations Joe and welcome to HPR.
-- Tony Haga NAR #81532 L1
Reply to
Tony H.
Sorry to hear about the fight, but I'm glad you're recovering. ;)
Reply to
RayDunakin
Congrats and a very nice upscale job; great pics too!
I am so jealous, look at all the workspace you have. Time for me to think of adding an addition to the ole' abode.
Great work on the L1, now start thinking about that L2 upscale. Any thoughts on what it may be?
Patrick
Reply to
IceAge
Doh! LOL!
-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1
Reply to
J.A. Michel
Thank you! Yes, I do have an awesome Vehicle Assy Building. It comes complete with heat, air conditioning, phone, stereo system, computer, fridge, and sink - all the stuff a guys needs! Not that I'm bragging. ;-) Seriously, I had to do stuff the hard way too before my wife and I bought our home 6 years ago. I feel your pain!
As for Level 2, I was kicking around the idea of building one of those 54MM minimum diameter kits from GiantLeap with the fiberglass tubing option and dual deploy, or I may do some type of 4" rocket. I have not really decided yet. In the mean time, I've drawn up a set of blueprints for a 4" upscale Estes Jayhawk, so I might build that too.
-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1
Reply to
J.A. Michel