High temperature epoxy?

Does anyone know of a source of high-temperature epoxy? Preferrably not astronomically expensive, because I'm going to need several ounces.

The application will be to attach together lengthwise (for strength) the motor mount tubes for a 54mm x 6 38mm cluster. I think all the heat from those motor casings all in once place will heat up the whole assembly and melt normal epoxy.

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David

I think Shadow Composites has some... it's black and comes in 1-oz. or 2-oz. batches (a little jar of resin with a premeasured syringe filled with liquid hardener).

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Really high temp stuff -

"Only" 500 degree stuff -

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

JB Weld is very good for this application. It's a lot stronger than Devcon too.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

I was thinking I had seen it at shadowaero.com, but when looking through their website I couldn't find it. It's not the best website I've ever tried to navigate. I'll send them an e-mail and ask - thanks for the pointer.

Reply to
David

As long as you use a good epoxy (i.e. not from the hardware, grocery, or discount store) you should be OK. It takes a lot longer for epoxy to fail from heat than the exposure time from the motor burn.

Alas, the industry tends to define high temperature as able to withstand

150-180 degrees (f). The best I ever came up with was some red stuff from Vulcan that they used in motor construction. But that was about 15 years ago.

Bob Kaplow

do a google search on pyro putty ... high temp (2000F) ceramic paste..

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

It's on this page:

It's about the third item down the page (below the rolls of heat shrink tape):

-----------

500 DEGREE STABLE EPOXY KIT 2 Fluid oz. high temp epoxy kit with pre-measured hardener. One time mix and use only. 18.00/kit

----------- (It looks like they don't have the 1oz. put-up listed any more...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

For sale now.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hi Bob,

I know that the motor only burns for a couple of seconds, but in this cluster the motor casings are going to stay way too hot to touch for at least 30 minutes (based on experience from smaller clusters). On my magnum with a 54 + 2x29mm, even the outside of the rocket is very hot to the touch after 15 minutes, and that is through the motor mount tube and two wall thicknesses. I'm going to use 6 38mm x 6-grain experimental motors, and those cases tend to stay hot longer than the aerotech cases because they are thicker.

(And, by the way, I always use West slow epoxy, not epoxy from the grocery store!)

Anyone with some specific experience with a 5 to 7 motor cluster want to share their experience? Am I off base worrying about the epoxy melting?

Reply to
David

I have seen a number of epoxy meltdowns on slimline type motor retainers - be careful with this and heat - it does remelt quickly at high temps - especially on a blast plate when it sits for a millisecond before take off. Lost a nice Millennium case this way.. b

Reply to
<locprecision

Use JB weld, perfect for high temp applications. Heck we use it for repairing engine block cracks

joel

For installing Aero-Pack retainers I've used either JB Weld or the black Shadow stuff... good results either way.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Have a look around this site...

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

I've seen JB Weld fail in this application. A fellow club member used JB Weld to attach his Slimline at LDRS 22 (Argonia, KS) for a HyperTEK flight.

Since it was loaner motor hardware, that failure proved rather expensive, as in addition to replacing the Slimline, he also got to replace the HyperTEK motor that was damaged in the fall.

Giant Leap has since changed their larger retainer attachment method.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

$97/pint! Then again, I guess that's a lot of motor retainers...

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Seeing the links reminded me of something I heard a long time ago. You can make high temp epoxy by mixing graphite with it It least this is what I heard. I got to test it by fixing a hole in my radiator. This temporary patch became a permanent fix. The addition of graphite greatly speeds up the curing process. I wouldnt even try this without doing further research.

Reply to
Jimmie

I'm skeptical of the graphite trick, but...

Radiators don't get all that hot, but then neither do consumer rocket motor casings. People in this thread seem to be suggesting the most expensive highest temperature products, while they should be discussing the cheapest solution that works.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

I actually want to hear all the options, even the outrageous ones, but I think in the end I am going to use JB-Weld. It seems to give me the cheapest solution for a moderate temperature above the normal 200 degrees or so for regular epoxy.

David