Komet

The ME 163 was a German WWII rocket powered fighter. Does anyone know of someone building a model of the above. What size model rocket would it take to get it airborne.

The Shaw's

First of it's engine wasn't a soild fuel one like what we use in Model Rockets and the pilot in it controled it's flight, so while I'm not saying it couldn't be done, it would be a lot harder as a unguilded model rocket.

Starlord

Reply to
Will Marchant

...and a video of one flying on this page:

Vince

The caption on one of the photo's says that it uses a H45 WL Aerotech motor. Do you need a L1 to fly it ?

Reply to
John Karpich

Reply to
Will Marchant

The most incredible ME163 model I have ever seen was a 1/4 scale or so model powered by a massive pulsejet of 50 pounds thrust. I think the all up weight was 46 pounds dry IIRC. I believe it was flown at the QSAA Rally in Vegas somewhere around 1986-1988. Titanium wing spars, electric fuel pump, in flight restart capability.. and well over 200 mph. Launched from a dolly pulled by a monster bungee cord. Built and flown by Jorg Vogelsang from Germany - wealthy industrialist who apparently puts his resources to good use. He has a fleet of somewhat extreme aircraft. The video might still be available, someone made me a copy long ago.

Air intake was cleverly accomplished through the nose, which was made of two profile plates so that the nose looked solid from any distance. And he brought two of them... I guess that's a good idea to make sure you have something to fly if one breaks, after flying the whole kit and kaboodle overseas.

Mike Dennett

Reply to
Mike Dennett

Holy cow! That would require one heck of a skilled pilot to stay ahead of 50 lbs of model airplane at 200+ mph.

One of the model aviation magazines ran a piece a few years back on a 4-foot span Me163 that did horizontal ROG with an H45 motor. I think that one was built light enough to glide after the powered phase ended.

Reply to
Mark Johnson

in article snipped-for-privacy@news2.actrix.gen.nz, The Shaw's at snipped-for-privacy@actrix.co.nz wrote on 3/25/05 3:42 PM:

2 or 3 years years back, I saw a site with pics of a Komet model made from card stock that was flown on a micro motor. I do not have the url for the site but the card model plans are for sale at Fiddlersgreen.net.
Reply to
Matt Oresky