[launch report] SCRA Lucerne Launch 10-26-03

[launch report] SCRA Lucerne Launch 10-26-03

The launch started early at about 6am. Not many flyers, but Mark McReynolds flew a D12 powered RCRG. Fred Shecter flew several model rockets throughout the morning and Martin Bowitz flew his model rockets including an Estes Bandit on what appeared to be a C6-5.

I have two good liftoff photos with a rocket, the spectators and the smoke plum from the fires in the background.

The first one is Jerry Irvine's (really Andrew's) Mogito with a D12-5. This is a 2.25" rough shape mosquito. To the ridge on the right is where the smoke is barely visible over 2 mountain ranges.

The second one is a Mean Machine with a reduced and extended top with a D12-5. To the ridge on the right is where the smoke is barely visible over 2 mountain ranges.

Just Live Event Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

and the

I hear them saying a hunter started the fires firing a flare because he was lost. Did he dig that up form under his life preserver he was dragging along in his marine rescure bag ?

Reply to
AlMax714

The biggest fire was caused by a hunter who lit a "signal fire" when he became separate from his friend. What a moron!

Reply to
RayDunakin

That would be the fire in the San Diego area - the one that killed about a dozen humans (some who did not heed that order to evacuate). He has been charged with something (Federal). Look up news media for details.

The fire in the photos is the one near San Bernardino. It was possibly started by a pair of men in van throwing matches out the window. If found they will probably be charged with murder. At least 3 people have died from that fire.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

But he will not be jailed like the guy with the matches.

The only real difference is presumed neglegence (matches) vs presumed emergency (hunter). That minor legal detail separates the jailed from the free.

Both were morons and both were "accidents".

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Once a year whether I need to or not :)

I often look for any excuse to attend a lucerne launch. This year's excuse was a little smoke on the horizon.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

why would two morons be doing that during fire season ? sounds like a very bad act to me.

be charged with

Reply to
Art Upton

Every year when the Santa Ana winds start up, the firebug scumbags come crawling out of the woodwork.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Well, now that sounds like a moron, but understandable as somehting a moron would have with him in the forest or a 4x4.

The news radio's here were saying a hunter shot a signal flare, suggesting the use of a flare pistol. Guess the news guys still don't know how to report accuratly. Talks about banning hunting now to prevent forest fires on silly after work radio shows will probably happen today.

Reply to
AlMax714

That would be the fire in the San Diego area - the one that killed about a dozen humans (some who did not heed that order to evacuate). He has been charged with something (Federal). Look up news media for details.

The fire in the photos is the one near San Bernardino. It was possibly started by a pair of men in van throwing matches out the window. If found they will probably be charged with murder. At least 3 people have died from that fire.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

I see dead people again.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I cut & pasted from my original posted response. Since then the death toll from FIRESTORM

2003 has risen.

Is Geraldo here yet?

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Not yet. You'll know that's happened when the Cubs win the world series.

Bob Kaplow