Lawndarts & CATOs & Shreds, oh MY!

JMRC launch at Gumbert field: MAN, the rocket gods were pissed off today.... So much hardware reduced to scrap. An E9 in an Estes CATO'd. A Level 3 attempt came in ballistic. A separated booster came in without a chute. The club 'project' didn't get off the ground. A camera rocket decided to reduce itself to its individual component pieces. We even had one get hung up on a power line. Somebody got it down, but I didn't see it so I don't know HOW. A couple rockets just went MISSING as well. One was lost across the road, and the owner never found it. I really hope that wasn't the one on the low hanging branch, because at least 3 of us saw it come down - it should have been easily reachable. I lost the booster to my Cosmic Cobra. Note to self: don't launch a bunch of rockets that seperate on the same rack. I had a 2-stager, as well as 2 helicopter/chute recovery birds. In other words, I had *6* separate pieces to look for at one time. Silly me didn't think about the difficulty of finding ALL the pieces. I only got 5 of 'em back... I find it hard to believe that *nobody* saw it, as many people as there were walking around. I have a suspicion that a couple of kids picked it up. Reason

- I launched a Mongoose near the end of the day, and lost track of it. Another flier pointed me in the general direction(over a hill), and I started walking towards it. When I got about halfway there, I saw a car that was leaving the launch brake, slow down, and keep going. I figured they'd seen the Mongoose, so I knew approx. where it was by where they braked. About 30 seconds later, the car came back, and STOPPED. When I saw this, I started running towards it. I got to the top of the little hill just as a couple of boys who had jumped out of the car picked up my rocket. They hadn't seen me because I was still behind the hill, and I think I surprised them by suddenly appearing. Them: "Oh...um, is this yours...?" Me(with a pissed-off look): Yes, it IS."

The kid handed it back to me, and they asked if it was my Cosmic Cobra, which had disappeared about an hour or more before. I don't remember seeing these kids before, and certainly hadn't told them the Cobra was missing... I related the story to the gentleman who told me where the Mongoose came down, and he had the same thought that I did - they thought they'd "found" a rocket, but I got there before they could get away. Pure speculation, but I think the kids found my Cosmic Cobra and kept it.

You know, if you feel the need to keep a rocket that you KNOW doesn't belong to you, you obviously need it more than I do. Let me know, and I'll give you the nose cone as well...

In the event that one of the more *responsible* people at the launch found it, either drop me an e-mail or give it to me at the warm weather launch...

Eldred p.s. I'll see if I have any good pictures to post...

Reply to
EldredP

Eldred wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

Welcome to rocketry!

Reply to
Gene Costanza

Well, I got 10 new birds into the air yesterday, so I'm proud of that. I also got 4 different helicopter recovery models launched on the same day, which was a goal I had. Don't know if that's been done at a JMRC launch before. I apparently launched so many multi-part rockets(multi-stage, payload, helicopter) that it prompted someone to ask, "Hey, do you have *anything* that's a single piece rocket?"

Damage report:

1 - Skywinder came apart at ejection(built it before I heard people suggest epoxy instead of model cement) 2 - Cosmic Cobra booster walked away(I think) 3 - Renegade broke a fin on the booster. It was returned to me by a little kid, so I have no idea where the other piece was... :-( 4 - Eliminator melted the chute, but didn't seem to suffer any damage on landing.

I didn't get as many flights as I *wanted*. I guess I was too busy chasing down pieces.

Eldred p.s. I hope nobody got nailed by the trooper hanging out on S. 127 after Henry Road. He was practically *invisible*.... I didn't have Mark's cellphone number with me, or I would have called and warned people.

Reply to
EldredP

El,

Did this bird have pink fins? If so, we found a fin on the way back in with Brian's rocket. I gave the fin to Roger.

the contest close date.

High-power is a good thing. ;-) Come on over to the dark side.... :-)

Kathy

Reply to
Kathy Miller

Nope - black. I'll just try to cut a matching piece of balsa. I kept checking back at the launch table figuring someone might have turned it in. Oh well - if you keep flying, you're occasionally going to lose one.

Lessee, between you, Mark, Scott, Art, , Tony, and Fred - I'm in trouble...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

I can attest that Eldred is on his way to high power. He knows what I mean ;-)

Steve Schafer NAR #80427 L2

Reply to
Steve Schafer

Nope - have no idea what you're talking about... :-) Forgot to include Steve in that list of people...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

I use that line on my wife after I get home from the hobby store!! Finally got out and launched this past weekend at the school sports complex, Sunday was perfect. Flew 12 motors, everythig from an "A" to a "G" impulse. Even flew a D-12 cluster. Great day, nothing lost and only broke one fin on my Estes Orbital Transport.

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Schafer

Hey, that's a good day. My record of losing or damaging at least one bird every launch is intact... :-( I should say *almost* every launch. The only one where I didn't is the single launch for my Round Robin contest entry. One flight to test it, then I had to get to class. I was at the field for less than 10 minutes.

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP